• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Printer Cutter for non-graphics business?

Mainframe

I wouldn't suggest a VG if he wants a trouble free machine...

T R O U B L E F R E E M A C H I N E .........
Seems they don't make such a thing LOL any more

My TrueVis Runs great! I am super impressed with it, It is different than my old one but it's Oh so fast, the take up is awesome, runs off my tablet and phone, prints are sharp and bright! cutter is DEAD on and is really easy to clean.

I can't wait to print with it, the prints seam bullet proof compared to the Ecosol ink from the older VP, I used to mark and scratch prints and banners all the time, not any more.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
From the posts on this forum, it does sound like you're in the minority with your VG. I do hope that it continues to behave that way and not develop the issues that many others are having.
So many machines returned back to Roland without problems getting resolved. Not great for a fairly new model machine.
I won't harp on about what machine we ended up upgrading to (after having 6 trouble-free years with our VS-540) after testing many solvent machines, but in ~5 months we haven't had any hiccups with any feature yet. Obviously no machine is perfect but some can build them better than others at the moment.

ikarasu

Good points... didn't really think of my work space.... I actually live 2 hours from my Office... so I work from Home 2-3 days a week...so I will be doing it in my home office. I don't do large runs of stickers and will be doing just some banners, occasional shirts. Promotional signs for our tradeshows larger stickers like 12" x 8" for vehicles we sponsor... maybe some lettering for our trucks.

I saw you said buy a 54 inch printer.... that is taking on a bit more than I would like...at least I think that now. This is actually wanted for not such large format stuff. 30" should do what I need. We actually have our Sprinter Wrapped... I did the design for the wrap after they gave me the template with and initial layout... then they came out to our warehouse to wrap it, and those wrappers had a skill set I would never attempt. But I see your point that if you have a 54 you can do whatever you want or just use 30" paper and keep it small.

Go with a 54. It's near the same foot print... And imo, what you really want is a latex. Their cheap $9/10,000 model is a 54. Pretty sure they have a printer and cutter combo for like 11k. If you end up not liking it... You could easily turn around and sell both and make most of your money back. The heads are cheap, and there's not too much that goes wrong with them - if you leave a solvent unplugged for a few days you could need a 20,000 repair on heads,(ours had a malfunction, we print daily... No head strikes, but an issue caused us to need 8 new print heads... Our supplier was generous enough to give us a bulk discount of $5,000 per head...so you can see why I'm more biased towards latex) so people tend not to buy used machines for much, especially from a shop that doesn't use it every single day. Latex doesn't have that issue, so people aren't as reluctant.

You'll also find more materials available in 54" as it's the standard. You can find most in 30... But at least around here, they aren't kept in stock as much.

If you do shirts you need a heat press. You could technically use an iron if it's stuff that will be worn once... But I don't suggest it. So there's another few hundred, and another couple ft of space taken up. So... Your looking at 6-7 ft of space for the printer... 3-5 for the heat press, 6-7 for the cutter... If you want your stickers to last a few more years that's another 6-7 ft for a laminator... A 4x8 table is a must...

I bought a printer for my home office. By the time I was done buying all the toys I wanted (just printer, cutter and laminator) my garage, and 700 sqft of basement became in usable.

The printers and cutters are about 4-500 lbs too... They're on wheels, so you can move them around... But if you want to go room to room, or downstairs, or get rid of them... Good luck.

It's going to be a very expensive toy. One with a ROI of a few years, if not more. Take into account all the real estate your giving g up in your home... I think you really need to ask yourself if it's worth it or not. If you are really just trying to save a few thousand bucks, I think you'll be disappointed. If your actually interested in learning, willing to spend hundreds of hours (literally, not making that up), learning, have the space to give up without having the wife yell at you.. then go ahead.

printing is fun, cutting is fun. But it's not cheap. We have clients who manufacture industrial machinery. They spend $20,000 every 3 months on decals. So they're doing 80,000 a year just on easy decals... 8-14x what you're doing, and I'm sure they've never considered bringing printing in house.

What I foresee happening is you're going to buy a printer... Buy a few rolls of media, spend hours getting your printer to match your companies colors... Put 5000 decals on batteries.... And then watch all the decals slowly peel off due to heat/wear and tear, and it'll make your batteries look cheap. Youll likely lose more cash in lost sales, then you'll ever be able to save.

I can take some 18650 batteries, solder them together, throw some plastic on them and make a laptop battery (and maybe whatever batteries you guys make?), But I don't. I know each cell is worth a few bucks, and the crooks at Dell want me to pay $150 for something that costs them $15 to make... But I also know I can't do it better than they can. Sure I can save some money, but the quality of the product would go down... And I'm not about to risk my $2000 laptop to save a few hundred dollars.

I'm sure you put a lot of blood and sweat into starting your business. Is the potential savings worth the risk of your brand image?

njsignguy

I personally wouldn't do it. Nowadays you can outsource for so cheap. I'm getting banners for $1sqft. I have 3 printers in my shop that can make these banners but sometimes it just makes sense to upload a design and have it at my door in a few days. Same with flatbed prints, I haven't made lawn signs in years. If I were you, if you have a need for colored non printed decals, buy a Craigslist Roland or graphtec plotter and mess around for 6 months and see if you still want to manufacture stuff. You might get off cheap with a $1000k investment. I agree with previous poster, $7k a year isn't a lot to try and save with the type of investment of time and money your looking to make. Good luck with whatever your decision may be.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk