• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

printer/cutter or printer & cutter?

bf0

Hi,
I'm a newbie to signmaking but I've been reading a good bit about hardware. My question is - "what is the best option for me?":

What I'm looking to do: make quality stickers, labels, vinyl cuts, small outdoor signs and just about anything you can print/cut from 1 inch up to 30 inches wide on substrates such as vynil, magnetic sheets, coroplast and poster prints

Options:
1. purchase used printer/cutter (been looking at the Versacam SP 300i)

2. purchase separate used printer & cutter, I haven't figured out the ideal printer but I believe I need an eco solvent ink compatible and I think a mid-range cutter might do the trick - US Cutter?

I have an idea about the pros & cons of each option but i'm not sure if there are any other options to consider.. I'm guessing I might need a laminator for anything outdoors but I think I can hold off for now unless it's worth it to buy a printer or cutter which comes with one.

I can spend ~$6,000 but from all the advice I can find it seems like a little too much for entry level.. most of the feedback is to outsource and then buy mid level h/w when you are ready to make a profit.. my problem with outsourcing is that I have a very wide range of products I want to market and I don't see outsourcing being very efficient at all. If I had limited products then I'd agree - outsourcing all the way for beginners.

Anyway - all i'm looking is for a newbie solution that provides enough quality so I can be proud of what i'm selling without overspending for the hardware.. once I gain the experience with whatever h/w I purchase I'll of course need as much money at that time to upgrade to the next level.

Thanks in advance! I'm looking forward to hearing some feedback..
Brendan

393comp

Just purchased a used sp300 for 7000.00 I'm new to the biz and just learning but I have been very happy with my purchase. You will need to laminate your decals otherwise they will fall apart when you try and apply them. I guess you can also use transfer tape but the decals won't be near as good.

Mosh

get a 540, the 300 is too small trust me. I started with one and went bigger in 6 months. I still have the 300, for small stuff, but if you are only getting one get the bigger, you will thank me when you get an order for a bunch of 36" or 48" banners and 30" won't do it....BTW you do know you are going to need another $5,000 for a laminator right? No one thinks about that when starting out...

To get into the dig-print game you are going to have to spend a min of $20,000 on printer/cutter, laminator, software, and a kick-butt computer. That thing you got at Wal-Mart won't do the trick.

CheapVehicleWrap

20g is CHEAP Mosh. Even I'm CHEAP, but 20k? 50k with a plotter & computer is minimum. Well, I like my screen real estate. How are soybeans doin BTW?

Mosh

well he is looking at a USED 300sp for starters. I have 3 540's, 1 300 and 2 seal laminators so figure that up....oh and 2 roland plotters....$20K could get you in on a shoestring...but not going to set the world a-fire.

Mosh

boomskankah= May the seed of your loin be fruitful in the belly of your woman! - Neil.

bf0

feedback

Thank you everyone for the feedback.. it's extremely valuable..

I agree with all the feedback - to be able to produce quality work and make a profit with the competition out there you definitely need some mid-range hardware.. i say mid-range b/c i'm sure you can spend ALOT more for higher quality & quantity so the $20k-$50k range is more than reasonable.

I'll start with a used printer/cutter to learn .. and what the heck - i'll shoot to sell 25 pcs before making the decision to spend more.. i'm not going to be printing photos or posters so a half decent piece of hardware should be enought to get my feet wet but i know you get what you pay for so I don't expect to make a career without the right investments (time & $$) :) ...

Thanks again!

Mosh

Now, what LAMINATOR are you getting...you know you need one of those too!!!
Printer salesmaen never tell you that part, another $6,000....

listen to the mosh...he speaks the truth! lol...... you'll need to get a lamintor. we've had an edge fx for 6 years, and got a roland vp540i last summer, didn't even consider the 300 version as i know it would have been a mistake.
we bought a cheaper laminator, a diage solo which was recommend to us by our sign supplier as we don't do wraps etc. biggest mistake we made! we have now just last week ordered the new seal el 54" laminator and they are taking the diage back, the seal is 3 x the price of the diage.
you'll need a good computer with lots of hd space and memory and a fast cpu. a decent monitor, and of course a good rip and graphics software. to be honest second hand for this lot.......i'd say $20k-$30k easily, oh and also supplies of materials and lam+ substrates etc.