• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printer Decision for Entry Level Into Digital Printing

sjm

Honestly, man, give it up. You don't know what you're talking about and you're not even bothering to READ the discussion you're responding to. No flame here, just honesty.

Sorry, I read and have enjoyed success with Aqueous, Solvent, Eco-Solvent, UV and soon Latex Technology.

Each have there pros and cons but it seems you have a bias for some reason and are unwilling to accept otherwise.

daveb

General Know-it-all
Gotta jump in here... Mimaki JV3160 purchased in '02, first print was reverse print on clear applied 2nd surface Pepsi artwork with "Ice" photo behind it, clear pan face backsprayed, still up and shows very little if any fading after 8 years (can provide photos and invoices). 8 years with no fading, aqueous nor do I believe UV will ever do this... the pigment they required simply will not hold up. I've got a naked (unlaminated) site sign that's four years old that still looks "OK" the gold turned a little green for some reason and the forest green background is darker than it originally was. Aqueous probably wouldn't even be legible by now.

Solvent rules! (sorry, I like the smell of it, actually that would explain a lot)
Dave

Letterbox Mike

SJM, do you honestly believe an aqueous printer is a better choice for something like a wrap or an outdoor banner than a solvent printer? If so please explain. Not flaming, just trying to understand your point of view here.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
The 5500 can do vehicle wraps no problem using a 2Mil Cast Air Flow Vinyl made by Media One (I know cause I developed it myself when I worked there)

The biggest application the 5500 lacks is banner applications cause the cost is so much higher then a solvent printer. The ink cost is higher as well.

It really depends on what your going to print, if your really into tradeshow graphics I would get an HP-5500. If your going to do banners for $1.00 a sq.ft all day then go with the Roland but let us know what you want to do with the machine and you will get a much better response.

MachServTech

An odd thread but one I think some folks can get some useful information from:

HP Designjet 5500: Older aqueous printers that are mainly used for trade show graphics as bigfish said.
High cost per square foot in ink and media. Easy to use and suitable for an office environment with no fumes. Indoor durability good. Outdoor durability is poor with no water resistance and rapid fade issues. Aqueous printers usually sit without use for months with little ill effects to the printheads or parts.

Roland printers are the workhorses of our industry with excellent long term outdoor durability, low ink and media costs. They do however introduce solvent fumes into the printing environment and are not usually used in typical office situations. Also slightly more maintenance than an HP 5500.
Solvent printers do not sit well for long periods. They will dry up without occasional printing and maintenance.

HP L25500 (Latex) is a new technology that does a good job of giving the ease of use (operation is virtually the same as HP Z6100) and no solvent fumes while still having long term outdoor durability. The ink is slightly cheaper than solvent and it uses the same media as solvent machines. From my limited exposure to this machine it seems like it can sit well for long periods with no maintenace like aqueous printers.

Choosing a printer is a big decision. Good luck!

Take a trip to Orlando FL to the International Sign Association Expo in April. It will be a massive education for you and will make your decisions much clearer.

sjm

SJM, do you honestly believe an aqueous printer is a better choice for something like a wrap or an outdoor banner than a solvent printer? If so please explain. Not flaming, just trying to understand your point of view here.

It's all good and I enjoy a lively debate. This thread has seemed to have gone off on a tangent by me recommending the HP 5500 and making a statement about Latex ink.

If all your doing is a wrap and an outdoor banner then you have many choices to select from. Though if you are looking for flexibility for example such as vehicle magnet, a trade show display, short term sporting event graphics, the list goes on and on then the HP 5500 is a safe investment for the reasons I previously mentioned.

Let me put it to you another way would I try doing 10, 53' trailers, two sides and rear doors on entry level machine be it aqueous, solvent, echo solvent or a thermal transfer digital printer for that matter, no I would not. Reasons obvious, I think.

For that I would use my XL1500, similarly if my XL1500 was busy I could use my HP5500 to pump out a vehicle magnet, a banner or a poster or whatever it's just that flexible.

Latex ink is not new as it was tried with the VinylJet, HP just made it work.

I trust that clears matters up.

sjm

Encad Vinyljet was a waterbased ink, but not latex ink...whole other make-up.

Nice someone knowledgeable for a change and with all due respect. Different head technology LexMark vs Proven HP Thermal printhead technology plus minor formula changes to the ink but it works.

How would you consider Latex ink? Environmentally friendly or simply that you can print on coated and uncoated stock? Personally I think that offers the best of both worlds.

wes70

After a lot of reading up on latex ink, it seems that this will be the way of HP wide format printers. I have a Z2100 and I would love it if HP ever came out with retro fit for latex inks...I know...wishful thinking!