• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printer Dilemma

rydods

Member for quite some time.
I currently own (fully paid) 1 Roland RF 640 Versa Express which was purchased about 4 years ago and a Roland XR 640 which was purchased about 7 or 8 years ago.

As of now, the print head on the RF is not good. It prints ok but needs to be replaced so this printer is for the most part taking up space.

The Pro 4 is in great condition and is our "go-to" printer at the moment.

We are moving the entire operation out of my house (garage, garage loft and basement) to a new building I have constructed just across the road where we will be in 1 space, however, the printing area is going to be a bit smaller and I am afraid 2 printers is going to take up too much space. We also have been outsourcing more lately for banners and larger quantity items so having 2 printers is really more of a convenience or backup in case of the inevitable.

My question is, I have a tech that is coming today to look over both printers and cleanup/fix smaller things. He happens to be in the area. He told me that replacing the print head on the RF will be pretty expensive, around $3000. Is it worth it to fix this head on the RF 640 Versa Express? I can afford it but, obviously financially, I'm in a pretty big hole and we're coming up to our slower period...during covid.

Thanks!

jfiscus

Rap Master
I would not fix it. I would put that money back towards your next printer purchase. A newer faster printer could do the work of both of those printers.
The older printers & their inks/parts are getting harder and harder (and more expensive) to find. If it is still printing I would try to sell it as-is before it starts just sitting and using ink without bringing in profits.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
My suggestion is if you really NEED the 2nd printer then get it up and running after a quote. Maybe do it 1st quarter of the year unless you want to take a write off this year for the parts and labor to repair it. IF you have partnered up with a wholesale outfit and trust them to do good by you, lean on them when you need to. Thats what any of us in the business are here for. I tell my clients, sometimes there is more profitable work out there to be done or you can do the more profitable work in house.