• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printer Disposal

paul luszcz

Who would you call to pick up and dispose of obsolete wide format printers?

We have a 54" Roland water based print/cut machine and a 60" HP solvent printer that are taking up space.

I thought someone would take at least one of them off our hands because the roland cutter still works fine and they both have take up reels that might be useful to someone but no such luck.

Our trash hauler keeps not showing up to look at them and our local difficult to manage waste facility won't take them. Got Junk says "no thanks".

I can't be the first to have a printer they don't want. I feel like I must be the first who can't find a place to dump them.

Any ideas?

jfiscus

Rap Master
Put them on Craigslist. Or offer them to a local makerspace if there is one close; they could re-purpose/recycle the servo motors, etc from the printer into useful projects.

TXFB.INS

Put them on Craigslist. Or offer them to a local makerspace if there is one close; they could re-purpose/recycle the servo motors, etc from the printer into useful projects.

+1, also you could contact your local trade school and let them use them either as a printer or dismantle and see how the internal components work

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
If you aren't looking to make any money off of it, throw it in the ally way. Our record is 3 seconds before someone came along and took it to scrap.

tiredcreations

I'd take them if I were closer. You can get a pretty good credit on some new printers if you trade them in. They usually just need a picture of the serial number and you ship them the main board. I'd at least hang on to those. Disassemble and scrap the rest.

Billct2

I put some old HPs on Craigslist, I put $100, thinking if I said free they would think they were junk.
The guy took all three.