• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printer dropping ink where it should not

gabagoo

That title sucks, Not sure how to describe it but lately my printer (mimaki jv3 130spll) is what can only be described as dripping ink at the top of the y axis outside the graphics area. So basically each pass it will have a thin line of black at the top of the vinyl.

I have cleaned the heads and capping station but wonder if it is a damper issue. I also noticed over the last month a black ink build up on the two metal clips that hold the material edges down.

I know it is an old printer but it works and I know how to trouble shoot most printing issues.

letterman7

Check for fuzz on the underside of the head, especially in any gaps. My Mutoh will do that - there are 2 very small gaps on either side of the head that tend to gather lint for some reason. It acts like a sponge and when it gets saturated, ink starts to drop when the head changes direction. Have to take a business card to clean it out.

gabagoo

I never did anything except put a roll of cheap vinyl in and now it is printing perfectly.... Yes I know a hair or lint will create havoc, but I cleaned it all yesterday so I know that it is not anything to do with outside interference.. I mean possibly that other roll of vinyl (good calendered general formulations 203) was lifting up on one end from humidity? which is weird because this cheap $99 a roll vinyl usually gives all sorts of head smears but not today and it is pretty humid out.

gabagoo

Today I went under and checked with a high powered LED light and sure as shlt I find a little piece of scrim thread mixed with lint hiding behind the black head..... sheesh