• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printer "Erased" a color?

ikarasu

Good morning!

I'm running a Seiko H2-74 with Onyx 10. I just had a print come back, because there was a section of the file missing. A blue square about the size of 2 inches, with white text on the inside just disappeared.

I'll attach a photo - The image on the left is what it's supposed to be, the image on the right is what it actually printed.

http://i.imgur.com/Czwn5MJ.png

I re-opened the same file from onyx's buffered jobs, and the same job file looks normal. I double checked there was no color corrections set, no weird profiles... nothing. I cropped around the missing section and re-printed, and it printed perfectly fine. So I'm stumped as to why this occurred... It happened on 10+ Signs. I've never had this issue happen before (That I noticed), And the eps file looks perfectly fine. I'm just wondering if this happened to anyone else before? Or if theres anything else I can do, to diagnose why it happened, to prevent it from happening in the future? It seems like a glitch to me, hopefully a one time glitch... But obviously when you're having to redo 100 SQFT of 180 + laminate, it's a pretty expensive "glitch".

dypinc

Things like that and other strange behaviors are why after testing Onyx on more than one occasion it never made in as a production RIP around here. Files that Onyx had issues with (and couldn't as much as give you the PS error) our other RIPs had no problem with.

ikarasu

I used the same file, and printed it smaller size and it did print. I also just found out a bar of the same color was missing... so it looks like onyx changed the color to white for some reason (The blue is overlapping a grey, so if it just deleted the blue, you'd think it'd have printed the grey behind it). I re-ran it, and re-opened/processed and ran that, and both times it printed fine. It feels like there was a color correction from that blue to white, however I didn't do any color correction to any of these signs (Printed over 300 diff signs), and onyx doesn't show any color corrections on the archived file.

I usually blame every glitch on it being an outdated onyx 10... maybe this can convince the company to upgrade to 12 ;p Changing profiles on already processed jobs causes onyx to crash, and then crash on opening until I delete the job from the onyx work folder... Theres been a few times where my print cuts printed with the barcodes, but no cut file was generated (Not often, but its happened once or twice). Usually just annoying glitches. Not sure if what happened was because of onyx, or the printer though. It's a weird one, I've never seen this happen before. Usually if something doesn't print as expected, I can go back into the printed jobs (Buffered jobs), re-open the file, and see that for one reason of the other, it actually ripped incorrectly. But this time, everything looks perfectly fine.

ikarasu

So, just an update. I have about 10000 15" x 2" decals to run, so I wanted to print one out to make sure it's printing / looks good. My EPS file is 27 some up, so I went into onyx... Cropped out everything but 2 decals to print, and it did the same thing.

The decals are 1 color, so it's not dropping colors. It seems like when cropping the image, it's throwing some of it out. Theres no way in onyx that I know of to even make it do what it did... I re-examined the file under buffered jobs, re-put it in queue, and this time it worked perfectly. Heres another pic -

I'm 99% sure it's because I Cropped the image... Even though I was nowhere near what it dropped. The last image I did I cropped a color bar off of the side also - and somehow stuff in the mid of the print is getting deleted. It's weird since I've cropped thousands of files this way, and it hasnt been a problem. At this point, I'm going to presume it's a problem with onyx 10, a bug of some sorts, and upgrade.

Attachments

• 20170125_091643.jpg
    20170125_091643.jpg
    539.7 KB · Views: 133