• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printer for double sided workflow? Need perfect registration

Swanedog

Looking for a printer that I can run card stock through and print double sided with perfect registration. I want to be able to take the printed card stock to my SUMMA flatbed to cut out. Products would include custom game cards that would have information on both sides.
Seems like most people do this with laminated one side to the other. I was hoping to avoid this. Any ideas?
I've seen things like the HP Latex 365, but I'm not sure it can handle card stock or just rolls.

BigNate

how many cards are you printing? a good Heidelberg will give dot-for-dot registration, and will allow for guide switching so that when perfecting you can keep the guide and gripper edges common.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Are you looking for a printing service, or looking to buy your own printer to produce these?
Second question... Is this a specific project, or are you trying to become a niche printer for board games?

netsol

how many cards are you printing? a good Heidelberg will give dot-for-dot registration, and will allow for guide switching so that when perfecting you can keep the guide and gripper edges common.
you are a wise man, nate.
heidelberg is exactly what i was thinking...

Swanedog

Are you looking for a printing service, or looking to buy your own printer to produce these?
Second question... Is this a specific project, or are you trying to become a niche printer for board games?
Looking to purchase a printer.

Swanedog

Do you have a flatbed printer? Flatbed would be the way to go.

If no flatbed then print on vinyl and apply to cardstock, flatbed application table very useful for this.

"Perfect registration" will take some practice

or see if it might be better to just outsource instead of figuring out how to do it inhouse

I have a couple Mimaki flatbeds. But was hoping to have it be a self feeding setup.

Swanedog

Heidelberg machines look amazing but won’t need to scale that high.

Thinking more like 5,000 cards per month, not per minute.

Superior_Adam

To get self feeding you will need to get a digital press like a Konica Minolta or Ricoh. Don't know that 5,000 per month would be worth it though as any digital press would print that in less than a day.

bcxprint420

Sign & Banner Xpress
Looking for a printer that I can run card stock through and print double sided with perfect registration. I want to be able to take the printed card stock to my SUMMA flatbed to cut out. Products would include custom game cards that would have information on both sides.
Seems like most people do this with laminated one side to the other. I was hoping to avoid this. Any ideas?
I've seen things like the HP Latex 365, but I'm not sure it can handle card stock or just rolls.
You need a press an offset press not a printer and its nothing you can just buy and run. In this world we live in there are very few options when talking about “perfect” as in registration.

Troy Lesher

Merchant Member
the Trufire series can certainly handle the dead nutz registration front to back. and specially on card stock. you should look into it. there are many on this forum who can validate this.

BigNate

the Trufire series can certainly handle the dead nutz registration front to back. and specially on card stock. you should look into it. there are many on this forum who can validate this.
these look interesting... they claim 1 micron accuracy. Is there provision to swap a side for registration purposes when flipping the substrate? I have never seen packaged sheets of anything be accurate to within a micron sheet to sheet, so when duplexing you would would still need to keep "guide and gripper" edges common. (I have no good data - has anyone here ever printed a sheet, completely removed it from the printer, placed it back in and printed the same image again? this is the quick-n-dirty way to check registration. on a good offset or letter-press you should not see any dots elongating into ovals...)

Troy Lesher

Merchant Member
these look interesting... they claim 1 micron accuracy. Is there provision to swap a side for registration purposes when flipping the substrate? I have never seen packaged sheets of anything be accurate to within a micron sheet to sheet, so when duplexing ,you would would still need to keep "guide and gripper" edges common. (I have no good data - has anyone here ever printed a sheet, completely removed it from the printer, placed it back in and printed the same image again? this is the quick-n-dirty way to check registration. on a good offset or letter-press you should not see any dots elongating into ovals...)
the 1 micron accuracy is correct but that is X and Y axis for Dot placement and print quality, not front to back . and yes you are absolutely correct on the substrate size, typically all of one pallet of material like styrene, ultraboard, card stock will be consistent in cut size through the pallet, to make sure your front to back registration stays on target you have to measure the first sheet and accurately tell the printer what that measurement is. Coro is a little different, because it is cut by a drunk monkey and often times has a bow in it, so part of keeping front/back is to double check the measurements about half pallet. and then a little "trick" to accommodate the long edge bow that often comes with coro is to disable the pop up pins in the middle so that the apex of the bow/concave does not become the point of registration on that stuff. the final Key to front back registration even on the best of printers requires a competent operator.

MacD

Yes need to be skilled to run a 4 color Heidelberg.
Small flatbed like Xante you could have the card already cut and run them that way or single sheet and then cut. This is the way to go if you want them done in-house.