• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printer help

HPSigns

ok first I have been in the sign business for about 8 years. I own my own shop and can do some cool stuff with cut vinyl. I even wrapped my truck in intermediate vinyl. 2 tone with tribal flames break up.

Ok my question is, I'm getting into the digital side of the industry but dont want to spend a ton of cash on my 1st printer. Now would love a Roland or that new hp latex printer but way out of my pocket range. I have ran across a few printers out there (ebay specials) now I know they are not top quality but my way of thinking is getting a printer for round 2k, laminator around $500.

To get me started and learning hands on also not turning down jobs is a plus. Mainly what I'm looking for is a printer I can do banners, signs and maybe try re wrapping my tuck. Also the diffrent types of inks that are out there. Eco, Solvent, Water Base etc the differences between them and the best use for each. As far as programs I love my corel draw/photo but can I use it to do the prints with or do I need to learn to something diffrent?

Thanks for any and all help

HulkSmash

Welcome from Denver.
Check out the classifieds. Any solvent printer for 2k, wont be worth your time in my opinion.

is that your logo.................................?

also let's see that intermediate truck wrap.... :)

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
If you are trying to get in on a tight budget your best bet would be to look for one of the used roland 30" models or a 48" Mutoh. What ever you buy you need to have the seller fire it up in front of you and print out some gloss vinyl. Have them do something with solid blocks of color so you can see how well the nozzles are laying down the ink.
Stay away from water based printers, for what you want to do they won't work without extra expense and drama.
You can skip the laminator and start with a big squeegee (search this forum for Dale's contact info) if you can't get a good deal on a used laminator. Look for local shops closing down and you may find some good package deals on a basic start up set.
Forgot about the software - you will need something to drive the printer - not sure if there is a charge but if you go with a roland I think you can download and use Versaworks. If you go with something else you'll need to purchase a dedicated rip lots of choices but they all cost - see if the seller will include the rip with sale.

Lots of good info here - best to use google to pull up the threads as the local forum search does not work too well.

wayne k
guam usa

ps
If your avatar is your company logo - prepare to get hammered on your design skills.....

(colorado used less words so his reply popped up before mine)

HPSigns

Thanks for the info and yes its one of them tho it dont look good crunched down to the 100x100pxl. But looks good on the blazer. Yes I know its real Busy (that small) but the reflective looks cool at night. I posted a few pics of the Blazer.

If anyone else has any suggestion please post thanks again

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
HP,
it is good that you seem to like flames because that logo is going to light a few around here.

wayne k
guam usa