• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

printer & internet network card??

signrios

question... one of my computers is down, im using my rip computer to access the internet, but here's the issue

pc has an integrated ethernet port and one network card that i added, the roland printer is connecting to the computer via the added network card.

i wanna be able to surf the net and at the same time print, which i can't right now without having to disable the connection to the printer, then i gain access to the web.

the ip on the network card to print is 192.168.0.120
for the internet port its set to "obtain it automatically"

any ideas?

SignBurst PCs

Your network IP subnet is the 192.168.0.x and that is how you receive Internet connectivity.

Your second card and printer will have to have different IPs, such as 10.0.0.x.

If you don't set the 2nd NIC and printer with a different IP subnet, your computer will get confused and route things to the wrong place. This is why your Internet does not work when your 2nd NIC is enabled. Essentially, it is looking for the Internet on your printer connection.

10.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.2 will work for your 2nd NIC and the printer respectively. They will need the same subnet mask 255.0.0.0 and neither one will need a gateway address as you won't be accessing the Internet through that connection.

You will have to tell your RIP software to find the printer at 10.0.0.2 and you should be all set.

signrios

Your network IP subnet is the 192.168.0.x and that is how you receive Internet connectivity.

Your second card and printer will have to have different IPs, such as 10.0.0.x.

If you don't set the 2nd NIC and printer with a different IP subnet, your computer will get confused and route things to the wrong place. This is why your Internet does not work when your 2nd NIC is enabled. Essentially, it is looking for the Internet on your printer connection.

10.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.2 will work for your 2nd NIC and the printer respectively. They will need the same subnet mask 255.0.0.0 and neither one will need a gateway address as you won't be accessing the Internet through that connection.

You will have to tell your RIP software to find the printer at 10.0.0.2 and you should be all set.

that clears it up!!!

thanks a lot Casey