• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printer not printing!!

heyskull

Our VJ 1604 has stopped printing.

I set a print of earlier and realised there was a wrong colour on it as it was printing.
So as usual I stopped the file processing on the computer and canceled the print on the printer.
I changed the colour and set it of once again.
I was out of the room for a few minutes and when I came back it had printed one pass and then carried on printing but no ink was being layed onto the substrate.
I cancelled the print once again and did a nozzle check that showed that CMYK were not firing at all (I have never seen this before).
So I proceeded with a head clean and you can see the ink being pulled through so their is no blockage.
I have put in new inks and everything reads 100%.

Any help would be appreciated as per usual these things only break down when you need them most.

This is still running it's original head and dampers (which I have never touched).

Help.......................

Thanks All

Sean

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
It sounds like you popped the head fuse. Usually they don't go during a print in my experience but that doesn't mean it is impossible. If you send the board in to us at solventinkjet.com we can diagnose and fix it for you.

heyskull

I am in the UK so that is not an option!
Also a fuse only pops for a reason (I was trained as an electrician many years ago) so repairing the fuse may not help.

SC

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
That's perfect. If you have any kind of electronic testing equipment I would open the machine up and test the fuses located in near the transistors and the ribbon cables that go to the CR board from the main board for continuity. I know fuses only blow for a reason but your symptoms sound exactly like a blown head fuse and in my experience that is the problem in 99% of cases. These heads are very low voltage and even a slight short in the ribbon cable connection to the head can cause them to blow. You can find the fuses fairly easy. They are 2 amp quick blow fuses. I believe digi-key has them.

heyskull

I will check them in the morning.
Is their any special way of powering down the machine (disconnecting) that I should be aware of?
I just don't want to make anything worse.

Cheers
Sean

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Before doing anything on your printer turn it off, unplug it, hit the power button a few times and you will see the light turn on for a second. I usually wait 5 mins before I start anything just to be sure.

heyskull

Do these fuses just clip in?
Or are they simply soldered to the board?
What I am asking is "Is it a relatively easy job soldering them in and will someone with basic soldering skills be up to the job?"
Does anyone have a picture of where these fuses are?

thanks
Sean

SC

heyskull

Does someone have a picture of the layout of the motherboard and positioning of fuses that could have possibly blown.

Desperation setting in!!!

Thanks
Sean

definitely F2 fuses located in the mainboard near the black heatsink, how old is your machine if your board is new version the fuse is removable but if you have the old ones you might have to solder the fuse to it, I have done this many times

heyskull

Can I test this fuse with a multimeter with the board still in the machine connected?
The Machine has been knocked off, disconnected and discharged?

Sean

heyskull

What is exactly the F2 fuse?
Does it have a part number and what is the exact specification?
Is there a definitive size?

Sean

chrisphilipps

Merchant Member
The F2 Fuse is in the upper right hand corner of the board. It is very small and easy to miss. Find the heat sink in the upper right of the board and the F2 fuse is just above it and is in the middle of the heat sink left to right. You can test the fuse with a multimeter just see if there is any continuity across it. My experience has shown that the CR Cables or Head Cables normally caused a short. Before replacing the fuse check those cables for any sign of damage or wear. If in doubt replace them.

I will say that normally even after the short is fixed and the fuse is replaced there is still a possibility that one channel will not print. This is the channel that was shorted and if it does this you could still have to replace the main board or print head to fix it.

heyskull

Thanks for that Chris.

Is it OK to test the fuse whilst it is still installed ?

I have ordered some fuses so here's hoping.

Sean

heyskull

Right guys i have replaced the F2 fuse which has got the printer printing again, the only trouble is there is a magenta block around/on top of everything.

Also another observation is that when we do a nozzle check (even though it also prints a magenta block all around it) out of the 8 channels it prints 2 black, 2cyan, 2 yellow but only 1 magenta, the other is missing completely.

Does anyone know what is causing this?

Thank you in advance

Attachments

• Picture268_zps8b7a4e9e.jpg
    Picture268_zps8b7a4e9e.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 77
  • Picture267_zps2ffb1f0b.jpg
    Picture267_zps2ffb1f0b.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 67
Last edited by a moderator:
try to replace your head cable, maybe its worn out, and its the main reason why the f2 fuse blow, if the problem still persist its time to have a new printhead

heyskull

Is this the long cable of which their is 3 cables together or the 2 cables going to the head?

Thanks
Sean