• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printer Options (Low Cost Investment)

Data Monster

Hi, I'm new here and I'm trying to figure out the best vinyl cutter for me to start out with, I have experience in design and I'm confident in my ability to create decals. My only issue I'm having is today is the first day setting my foot in creating them on material objects. Some of you guys seem very detailed and knowledgeable I was hoping someone can help me with my small affordable investment ($3,000). I want to see if is something im may be interested in the future, depending on cost for materials. Which I need to look for as well, if anyone is willing to share some insight :loveya:. Thanks again for having me here and helping.

Mosh

The title said printer, if you only have $3K forget that. Vinyl cutter, you should just cruze e-bay. For $3K you can get a nice Roland, but then you would have nothing left for software.

Data Monster

The title said printer, if you only have $3K forget that. Vinyl cutter, you should just cruze e-bay. For $3K you can get a nice Roland, but then you would have nothing left for software.

You sir are a genius I just realize that right now, lack of sleep will do that to a man. So best bet would be Ebay, you mention software? So the cutters dont come with software I'm guessing.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
You can get a nice vinyl cutter for $3,000 but not a printer. If I were in your situation, I would get a vinyl cutter to make your own simple decals and lettering for trucks and window fronts. Then I would sub out the printing until you can afford a printer. I wouldn't trust a used printer for only $3,000 either as most of them in that price range would need work and tend to be junk machines. Save up $6,000 to $8,000 and make a good down payment on a new machine or find a used SP-300V or ValueJet.

Data Monster

You can get a nice vinyl cutter for $3,000 but not a printer. If I were in your situation, I would get a vinyl cutter to make your own simple decals and lettering for trucks and window fronts. Then I would sub out the printing until you can afford a printer. I wouldn't trust a used printer for only $3,000 either as most of them in that price range would need work and tend to be junk machines. Save up $6,000 to $8,000 and make a good down payment on a new machine or find a used SP-300V or ValueJet.

Any recommended brands someone said Roland? I seen some no names online for a couple hundred, I don't want something cheap. I want something where I know my quality of work will show, from basic lettering to detailed decals. Thanks again for your input, save 10k for a printer, I'll save that for another day now.

reQ

Used Roland cutter (GX 24) around $1000-$2000 tops. Usedf SP 300 - $3000-3500.
Cutter is low maintenance, all you need is cut vinyl. You will have zero to none problem just cutting vinyl. With used printers, you will need inks/overlam/digital vinyl etc. Plus you can get whole bunch on problems and you can end up with paper weight without ability to print/cut.

Data Monster

Used Roland cutter (GX 24) around $1000-$2000 tops. Usedf SP 300 - $3000-3500.
Cutter is low maintenance, all you need is cut vinyl. You will have zero to none problem just cutting vinyl. With used printers, you will need inks/overlam/digital vinyl etc. Plus you can get whole bunch on problems and you can end up with paper weight without ability to print/cut.

So I searched that and came across http://www.ebay.com/itm/Roland-GX-2...408?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ec8ac1518 It looks like it has a clamp and has the price tag that I was looking at. Is this a good buy for a brand new one?

reQ

Not bad at all. You will pay more, compare to used machine, but you will also get CoCut (software to cut vinyl)
I started with that machine and it was making me money for first 2 years, until i was able to buy a printer.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
As far as cutters go, you can't go wrong with a Roland, Graphtec, or Mimaki. Summa is great but the price point is most likely not in your budget. If you use Illustrator, the Mimaki has has a great plug-in that comes with the cutter. All new cutters will have software. Used ones should have the software with them but sometimes people lose the CD and you may have to find a download.

Data Monster

Not bad at all. You will pay more, compare to used machine, but you will also get CoCut (software to cut vinyl)
I started with that machine and it was making me money for first 2 years, until i was able to buy a printer.

Not quit your job kind of money right more like extra spending money? Im new to this whole thing, so I have to look around for pricing models and figure things out. The cost of material is pretty cheap to assume, I seen it online for about $20-$25. Now this has it so you can transfer to clothing as well? If I'm not mistaken, ultimately I would like to start silk screening shirts and selling them locally at the swap meet we have a big one every weekend.

Data Monster

As far as cutters go, you can't go wrong with a Roland, Graphtec, or Mimaki. Summa is great but the price point is most likely not in your budget. If you use Illustrator, the Mimaki has has a great plug-in that comes with the cutter. All new cutters will have software. Used ones should have the software with them but sometimes people lose the CD and you may have to find a download.

I did notice the price difference, I think my best affordable opinion is to go with Roland. Im going to have to invest in some software. I have extra money, but I rather have my nest egg if this doesn't go to well.

reQ

I did quit my day job. I started small sign shop just with that little cutter (which was pretty stupid ). I had to compete with with other shops who have large format printers etc. Doing 5-6 Color sign with cut vinyl is not much fun lol. But i was lucky enough to get my portion of business and expanded later to laser engraving/digital printing/screen printint/tinting. But to answer your question - no, don't quit your day job just to do some decals. If you will see that you get more busy & business flow is steady, then you can think about it.

As for materials - garbage in, garbage out. Don't use cheap materials, don't buy chinese vinyl from ebay. its complete crap. Buy oracal 651 (Regular cal vinyl) I would not buy anything cheaper than that.
As for heat transfer - you can cut it with plotter, for sure. Hexis, Siser are two reliable brands that i would recommend.

Data Monster

I did quit my day job. I started small sign shop just with that little cutter (which was pretty stupid ). I had to compete with with other shops who have large format printers etc. Doing 5-6 Color sign with cut vinyl is not much fun lol. But i was lucky enough to get my portion of business and expanded later to laser engraving/digital printing/screen printint/tinting. But to answer your question - no, don't quit your day job just to do some decals. If you will see that you get more busy & business flow is steady, then you can think about it.

As for materials - garbage in, garbage out. Don't use cheap materials, don't buy chinese vinyl from ebay. its complete crap. Buy oracal 651 (Regular cal vinyl) I would not buy anything cheaper than that.
As for heat transfer - you can cut it with plotter, for sure. Hexis, Siser are two reliable brands that i would recommend.

With a cutter, I can make small stuff for shirts, Drink ware (Glass cups,Mugs,Etc), Small decal for vehicles. Anything else I'm missing, I'm trying to do some research for pricing.

player

Get a printer/cutter as mentioned. Used Roland SP300. Comes with software, printer and cutter.

Why anyone with decent graphics skills would want a cutter only is beyond me...

DRamm76

Roland's come with plug ins for Adobe Illustrator which on cloud based it's only $19.99 per month

OldPaint

IF YOUR ONLY GOING TO CUT VINYL..........
get a used roland and a copy of COREL DRAW 10, 11, 12, X3, X4 X5, X6..... cutting direct from COREL since 1992........NO OTHER SOFTWARE IS NEEDED.........
if you can buy a SP-300 ROLAND........ 30" printer cutter........best thing for a small 1 man operation.
unless you got space for a 54" - 60" ......

Data Monster

IF YOUR ONLY GOING TO CUT VINYL..........
get a used roland and a copy of COREL DRAW 10, 11, 12, X3, X4 X5, X6..... cutting direct from COREL since 1992........NO OTHER SOFTWARE IS NEEDED.........
if you can buy a SP-300 ROLAND........ 30" printer cutter........best thing for a small 1 man operation.
unless you got space for a 54" - 60" ......

Would it be better to invest in a SP-300 then to get a cutter, I'm looking to start something locally and make some money on the side.