• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printer/plotter user opinions

chandrinator

Hello!

I'm in the market for a printer/plotter (eco-solvent). I need something that has high quality prints with the ability to laminate the print, then reload for contour cutting with registration marks. Looking at a 54/55" size, and will be printing on cast and reflective vinyls for vehicle graphics. I have a budget of $15-$35k (I have to include a laminator into this cost) and would like users' opinions of what they use and love/hate, and suggestions. I used to use a Roland VersaCamm SP 540-V and had a lot of issues with it, so I'm a bit biased against them...
Thanks in advance!
Would prefer something that requires minimal maintenance with optimal output, and when necessary, something I can work on myself (yeah, right, who wouldn't want that!?). Also taking into consideration cost of ink, as well. Speed of printing is not important.

rjssigns

Might want to check the classifieds here for used equipment. iIRC there are multiple HP Latex printers and one or two used Summa cutters. For a laminator I would look at USTech. A number of folks here have them and are quite pleased with how they work. They especially like the price. Could get all equipment towards the low end of your budget.

If I was starting out this is the way I would go. Print/cut devices are not all that great on cuts over a few feet. I know as I have an SP540V. It will print all day and all night.(been there done that) It just doesn't hold register that great when cutting anything over 5 or so feet.