Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Printer Repair Costs

Discussion in 'Roland' started by doug phillips, Aug 12, 2006.

1. doug phillips

doug phillips New Member

Apr 29, 2006
    Let me preface by stating I live in Anchorage Alaska.

I just found out that after I buy a printer (roland 54"VC) that if I need any repair work done I will have to pay air fare and lodging expenses for the tech ($600 min) all this while under warranty (boo!). So my question is how often do you have to have a tech repair a problem on your machine and what do the parts run? I need to figure a yearly estimate for repairs. Summa is looking better all the time!

Tags:
  2. Lonely Fisherman

Lonely Fisherman Member

Jun 5, 2005
    A great question Doug! It's one of those unpublished items that all of us worry about before buying a printer. I'm looking forward to seeing some of the answers on your question.

Fish....

3. Checkers

Checkers Very Active Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Hey Doug,
    Did you look into a service contract? Sometimes they will cover those unusual expenses like travel. They cost about $2500 a year though.
    Personally, I would budget for a service contract and 2 trips/service calls a year. If the machine is good and you didn't need it, great!. But plan on using at least one anyway, perhaps during a slow time, just to get the machine checked out and factory serviced. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure :)

Checkers

4. Bob 67

Bob 67 Member

Nov 5, 2005
    I purchased mine in Nov 05, So far I have had a pump replaced, 2 servo boards, the motor and the wiring harness. After hours of watching a so called "tech" working on it I wouldn't have any worries of doing it myself in the future. They are a very simple machines.

Bob

5. gerald

gerald Member

Mar 20, 2006
    I have a Mimaki JV3 and I do all the repair work myself. All I've ever had to do was replace a pump, clean the heads and converted it to bulk inks. Had it 3 years. It would be hard for me to pull the trigger on 2500.00 a year. Then again, I don't live in Alaska.

6. doug phillips

doug phillips New Member

Apr 29, 2006
    Checkers, service contract was not offered, but the impression I get is I would still have to pay the travel piece (contract or no) just based on the fact that I would have to pay even under warrantee. Let me do some math here -- service contract $2500, two trips a year $1200 (min) parts (after waran.) $500-1000? Round it to $5000 a year = $416 a month -- YIKES! If service contract includes parts drop it to a round $4000 a year = $333 a month -- still eyebrow raising!

Bob, any idea what parts would have cost if not under warrantee?

Gerald, I am fairly handy and I imagine I could do a lot of the work myself as well. I'm not sure they would allow me to do it? It just chaps my a$$ to get hosed like this just because I live in Alaska -- just bend over -- man, this kind of stuff makes me want to move!

7. Checkers

Checkers Very Active Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Ya, $2,500 a year (more or less) is a tough pill to swallow when you look at the number by itself. However, when I was a production manager, printing in-house, I could easily loose that much or more in a day, if one of my printers weren't working. A cheap banner stand would retail for $500, and I could produce about 6 per day. Or, a pop-up tradeshow display could retail for $8000 or more, and I could do 2 a day. You do the math :)
    Back then, I was also billing my time out at $85 to $125 an hour for project management and design. So, should I loose my billable time trying to troubleshoot and repair a dysfunctional printer? Or, should I move to the next project and make better use of my time after making a 15 minute call to the printer manufacturer, telling them to get out here to fix my printer?
    Here's another way to look at it is this; if you do a fair amount of printing, that $2,500 may add 5¢ to 10¢ a square foot to the cost of a print. So, on a 3' x 10' print, I'm only adding $3.00 to the cost of the print to guarantee my client a quality product, delivered on time. This also provides me with piece of mind, knowing that when (not if) my printer fails it will be repaired in a timely manner at no additional cost to me. In my book, that's money well spent.

Checkers