• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

printer stops printing

MikeD

R.I.P.= Wasatch 6.6
Printers= (2) JV33

After clicking "print" in Wasatch, a print spooler will open; the "active light" on the printer will blink, and then the printer will begin printing. About half way through the job the printer parks the carriage over the capping st. and stops printing; never resumes. The Active light continues to blink but nothing else happens.

Swapped USB 2 cords out
multiple files
multiple printers have this symptom. It seems to move from printer to printer; this morning both units were printing- mid morning, Unit 2 began dropping jobs... Now it's also happening with Unit 1.

This also happens on 3 other JV33's in a different dept.
Intermittent problem (won't happen if a tech is on site.)

Wasatch won't get involved without $600.00 upgrade.
Mimaki doesn't have any ideas.
I.T. dept says PC is good.

Anyone ever lose jobs (and media, and ink, and labor hrs) like this?

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

WestbankKurt

Stop printing

I have had that happen on our CJV30-160 and its only a year or so old using Onyx. Now I have had a different problem with sticky banner material stressing the motor until it timed out, tech said the motor couldnt handel it so just pull out the needed material and hope for a better roll next time we order.

MikeD

did you get an error?
I am running heavy material right now, but this has happened with regular vinyl as well.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Once in a while it will happen on ours but never in the middle of a print. Always right when it's about to start printing something. If you hit remote when it gets stuck like that nothing happens and it basically is frozen up. Rebooting the printer is the only way to get it unstuck. We are driving ours with Flexi pro 8.6v2. Does not happen often though, maybe once in 2 months.

Matt-Tastic

What happens when you disconnect 1 printer, so only 1 of them is connected to one computer? It almost sounds like a communication issue, where the software gets confused and sends to the wrong port, but the data isn't right so the printer stops.

If you get smoother communication with only 1 computer connected, go buy a PCI USB card, and connect one to it, and the other to the onboard USB. A lot of times, even if you have several banks of USB ports, they all run off the same header on the motherboard (meaning all the data goes through the same bus, and can get garbled easily) separate USB controllers can relieve this issue.

Driving Force

I have had that when there were too many jobs left in the queues. If there is a large amount of files left in them it will cause the data to stall.
Try deleting all the old files that were ripped, including cut files if you use the wasatch cutting queue. Reboot the printer and all should be fine.

MikeD

Both printers are plugged into onboard USB, so I will change that first.
Turning off main power and restarting printer is the only way to get it back.
There are two JV33's running simultaneously.
Queues are kept clean.
Seems like a communication problem, or something goes wrong after the printer receives the data.
Trying the USB card first.
Thanks everyone, for your insight!

Any chance you ended up solving your issue with the printer suddenly dropping jobs? I just had this start happening a couple of days ago after unplugging all cords to the PC to do some rearranging. I'm thinking the issue is related to the USB ports on my PC as that was the only thing that could have changed. I did not think that plugging the USB cable from the printer into a different USB port on back of the PC afterwards would cause any issues. I've just this evening spoken with another printer friend, and he had recommended cleaning the encoder strip on printer as it may have gotten even the slightest dust, hair, etc on it and might cause this type of issue. Thanks very much!

OldPaint

go into your windows settings. check and make sure the SCREEN SAVER says none, all the preset for monitor shut down, hard drive shut down, put em all to NONE. i had this happen a couple times printing to my ENCAD on large prints. screen saver would kick on PRINTER WOULD SHUT DOWN.