Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

printhead question??

Discussion in 'Mutoh' started by decaljunkie, Aug 4, 2014.

1. decaljunkie

decaljunkie Member

Jul 17, 2010
    Is it possible to convert a dx4 water based print head to a solvent print head by changing the manifold to a eco solvent manifold?
    has anyone done this before? thanks

Tags:
  2. FatCat

FatCat Very Active Member

Feb 12, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    To my knowledge, you can't use any water based printhead for solvent inks. Apparently Epson makes 2 versions and the main difference is the plastic used. From what I have been told, if you put a water based printhead in a solvent printer, it will work just long enough for the solvent to melt through the channels that are not made of solvent resistant plastic. Might be a few days or weeks depending on the circumstances, but eventually it will start to leak from the solvents.

3. synergy_jim

synergy_jim Very Active Member

incorrect.... tons of old Roland water based units have been converted to solvent.

4. devahoch

devahoch SIGN MAKING COMPANY

Sep 7, 2013
    Slovakia
    Solvent resistant manifold suitable for Epson DX4 printheads. By replacing this manifold, you can turn a water based Epson DX4 printhead into a solvent resistant part suitable for Roland, Mutoh and Mimaki solvent printers. This manifold is sold together with the rubber ring necessary to adapt to a print head.

This is original text in section MANIFOLD in shop from www.digiprint-supplies.com Belgie. link
    http://www.digiprint-supplies.com/head-adapter-for-epson-dx4-printhead.html

5. FatCat

FatCat Very Active Member

Feb 12, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    I stand corrected, I was thinking of the DX5 head, my bad.

6. heyskull

heyskull Very Active Member

Sep 2, 2007
    UK
    Sean

I think you can do this on the DX5 print head also by attaching a solvent manifold.
    But the manifold is bonded with sealant to the head on the DX5 unlike the DX4 which has replaceable seals.
    I would not know how to or what sealant to use on the DX5.

SC

7. Robert M

Robert M Very Active Member

Jan 23, 2007
    colorado
    DX 4 heads

In the past you could put a solvent manifold on a NEW aqueous DX4 head, flush it and you were good to go. Currently this is no longer true.

8. iprintstl

iprintstl New Member

Sep 8, 2008
    nyc
    Why is that not true any more?