Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Printheads not working. After cleaning print heads this is a test print!

Discussion in 'Roland' started by Jtuck Industries, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Jtuck Industries

Jtuck Industries Member

Oct 22, 2013
    So I've been having a crazy time with this Roland SP540V.
    Bought it as is and I think the heads dried up overnight.

But after cleaning the heads several times and running 10 head cleanings ive restored most of it.
    See picture attached anyone have any good ideas to help restore. I really ain't trying to buy new print heads right now.

We have all been there.ha

Having issue attaching photo from phone will place after post

Tags:
  2. jfiscus

jfiscus Map Wraster

Apr 2, 2009
    Cincinnati, OH
    still awaiting your photo, but I'm betting on bad capping station seal, dampers, or clogged drain lines. All will cause bad printing after sitting.
    if the heads were good yesterday, they're still good today.

Rolands operate off of some magic that makes the only pump on the machine in the capping station, so if the ink coming from the lines doesn't have a perfect seal all the way to the pump, they wont print right.

get a small vacuum pump or syringe and put some vacuum on the drain lines going down to the pump, see what ink comes out.

3. jfiscus

jfiscus Map Wraster

Apr 2, 2009
    Cincinnati, OH
    hopefully, the head was locked into position when you transported it to its new home?
    Have you done the "ink pump up" where you have to remove and insert cartridges a few times? (I think it's in the maintenance menu)

4. Jtuck Industries

Jtuck Industries Member

Oct 22, 2013
    Sorry went and got lunch and forgot about it... lol
    Here it is..
    image.jpg

5. Jtuck Industries

Jtuck Industries Member

Oct 22, 2013
    One it was transported we did test prints and made sure it was good.
    I'm going to try and do what you said previously.

I appreciate any input.

Whats the best way to pull out and clots that could be in a print head?

6. jfiscus

jfiscus Map Wraster

Apr 2, 2009
    Cincinnati, OH
    See the reply you quoted above...
    If you need help before Monday, my cell is in a PM to you.

7. Jtuck Industries

Jtuck Industries Member

Oct 22, 2013
    Thanks Jfiscus

here is a pic of the black damper. It has less ink in it than all the other dampers.
    less than 1/4

Attached Files:

8. MrSalumi

MrSalumi Member

Oct 27, 2012
    earth
    Thats a vacuum problem. Think of the whole color channel, if you will, like a loop. Start from one end and make your way to the other checking for possible leak points. Specifically; captop seals (or capping position), manifold nipple, Damper, etc..

Try pulling the capping station tube off the pump and apply negative (vacuum) pressure. Listen for leaks or look for air in your syringe. Then try the same thing on the other end at the damper (when its off). DONT PULL NEGATIVE PRESSURE ON THE TOP OF THE HEAD

Good luck!!

9. jfiscus

jfiscus Map Wraster

Apr 2, 2009
    Cincinnati, OH
    Any luck yet?
    I was busy all weekend, but if you still need help let me know.
    Nazdar should have the Roland parts you might need in stock if you think you'll need anything.

10. The Giraffe

The Giraffe Member

Mar 1, 2007
    I can't find any Roland supplies at Nazdar's site. I'm trying to buy reasonably priced cap tops and am not having any luck. The past two vendors I've used have managed to screw up orders.

Suggestions?

11. player

player Major Contributor

Apr 24, 2006
    Toronto
    I have been thinking about replacing the dampers on my SP540V and would also like to know of a low cost supplier of them.

I am wondering if the cheaper dampers are missing the screen or have an inferior screen so they cause the heads to have
    problems prematurely.

12. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    http://www.inxdigital.com/e-catalog/index.html#/82/zoomed

probably have to go through a dist. channel, but I have been happy with triangle replacement stuff for my printer (not a roland however)

13. Robert M

Robert M Very Active Member

Jan 23, 2007
    colorado
  14. The Giraffe

The Giraffe Member

Mar 1, 2007
    Yes you do.

Placed order at 12:10. Got a shipping confirmation at 1:14.

Thanks.

15. jfiscus

jfiscus Map Wraster

Apr 2, 2009
    Cincinnati, OH
    It was a bad seal on the cap tops and a clogged drain line going down to the pump causing the issues.

When the head "parks" on top of the capping station, it parks a bit too far to the right and the caps are not able to come up and correctly seat on the head.
    If you give it a little manual bump with your hand, it'll move over to the left and the caps will seat correctly.

How do you fix the "parking position"? I tried moving the carriage's position on the cable, but that didn't seem to have any effect, and I do not know of any setting that can be changed to correct this.

16. Jtuck Industries

Jtuck Industries Member

Oct 22, 2013

Cap tops are easy if someone messes em up they are dumb. What type of print you got?

17. Jtuck Industries

Jtuck Industries Member

Oct 22, 2013
    Yea thanks jfiscus I appreciate you coming out to help me with my printer. Blue still has a few issues but not as bad as it was before.

I know that carriage position was off by a tad-bit causing it sometimes not to cap right with the capping station.
    Things are looking good right now i'm 98% with a few nozzles not firing but nothing that's crazy.

Also I will keep you in mind for some Illustrator work.

:)