• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing 7.5M books a week and can't make it

ProWraps

can you say unions?

u got a bunch o jabrones getting pensions and whatnot and stuff that probably dont even work there no mo. then yous gots even more jabrones that cant learn computas and stuff and junk to bring dat place up to date.

Letterbox Mike

can you say unions?

u got a bunch o jabrones getting pensions and whatnot and stuff that probably dont even work there no mo. then yous gots even more jabrones that cant learn computas and stuff and junk to bring dat place up to date.

There you go. They're averaging $30/hr for minimum wage or just above minimum wage work. If they run 2 shifts, which is probably conservative, their payroll is fifty thou a day. That doesn't count benefits or retired folks or pensions or any other union perks. I'm not surprised, if anything I'm surprised a place like that survived that long.

OP in 3... 2... 1...

HulkSmash

What people are finding it hard to understand is that when a big corporate company, is trying to find a reliable printer, they're looking for Versatility, not the cheapest. Who can do more, and do it better. This goes for a lot of other industries as well. A lot of sign companies are falling off the map because they can't offer what others can. It's a sad fact

HulkSmash

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 57

CheapVehicleWrap

hahaha, from Urban Dictionary, definition #3:

"3. Someone that farts in the bathtub and then plays with the bubbles and sniffs the farts."

Now I'm just curious....
Would any smart fellers or fart smellers from outside the US PLEASE tell me if such an actor actually has a word for it in their language?

I mean if this doesn't back up "All the good domains are taken"; I don't know what does.

Last edited:

johnnysigns

What people are finding it hard to understand is that when a big corporate company, is trying to find a reliable printer, they're looking for Versatility, not the cheapest. Who can do more, and do it better. This goes for a lot of other industries as well. A lot of sign companies are falling off the map because they can't offer what others can. It's a sad fact

Why's that sad, it's weeding out the competition.

Locals Find!

This is sad because now we will have less real books available.

This move to digital books sucks, you cant read a digital book in the middle of a forest when the nearest power line is over 250 miles away and you couldn't hump in enough batteries in your ruck because you decided food & water was more essential.

Bring back real books!

Pat Whatley

Your next big move in books is going to be "bookstores" that print and bind your book onsite. You can either download the book digitally or pay extra to have it printed in the size and style of your choice so you can tote it out into the woods. The main benefit will be that you'll be able to get any book ever written at a "bookstore" the size of a mall kiosk.

Music stores were poised to do the same thing with cds before Napster killed them.

Locals Find!

Your next big move in books is going to be "bookstores" that print and bind your book onsite. You can either download the book digitally or pay extra to have it printed in the size and style of your choice so you can tote it out into the woods. The main benefit will be that you'll be able to get any book ever written at a "bookstore" the size of a mall kiosk.

Music stores were poised to do the same thing with cds before Napster killed them.

Now, thats something I could get behind. Having out of print books at my fingertips to replace my old worn copies would be awesome.

genericname

Andrew Merson, the company president and owner, called it a "difficult decision" forced by "the impact of e-books, and various other digital media, on offset printing coupled with changing technology" as well as other factors.

Other factors... like the inability to adapt. Isn't it odd that you could have enough business to push 1.5 million books a day, but instead of scaling back, you have to shutter completely?

Forget costs like material and staff. This is the same excuse we've heard time and time again from providers of other traditional media since the beginning of recorded history. The Guttenberg press killed scribes, radio killed the printed word (yes, they were arguing it!), video killed radio, VHS killed the cinema, Napster killed the record shop, and BitTorrent killed DVDs; everyone's always out to blame someone else instead of investing in adapting themselves to different climates.