• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing a gradient black to white on Roland Soljet Pro4 XR640

SGS Graphics

Just a quick hi to start with as im new on here :)

Im currently trying to print a Subaru graphic for a customer which has a gradiant from black to white and were struggling to get versaworks/xr640 to print it correctly It doesnt recognise the white as white as it needs to be set to the roland white. Im not great on AI yet but learning. I know the gradient isnt a vector when created so i assume this is somthing to do with it.

We are printing the full graphic white then another pass of white and colour then another pass of colour to achieve the desired results but behind the gradient it doesnt print white in full just behind the black of the gradient then prints the actual roland white as brown in it also. Ive added a picture to try and show what i mean. We are printing on clear metamark vinyl

We want to print the whole graphics solid white then the gradient colour over the solid white so it shows white rather than transparent in the gradient

I have an idea of copying each gradient layer removign the halftone and settign them as the roland white (Brown) then setting that layer belwo the gradient layer but not sure on flattening etc and what is required.

Any advice is welcomed

Thanks in advance

rjssigns

Why are you using clear only to print a flood white? Maybe I'm not understanding what the end product is supposed to look like? Use white vinyl, eliminate the flood white and use a simple black to clear gradient.

woolly

think the graduated halftone is a bitmap so vw unable to see through it.

think i would create two files first one the solid white background then the coloured file set as if it was printing on to white vinyl.

creating the two files with in a boundary box will keep them located the same so using return to origin the second file will print on top of it and keep registration for the cut path as well.
for best results using overprinting is the vinyl used is not much wider than the graphic printed keeping the material more stable

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
Is your file RGB or CMYK. If RGB, what is the value of your white? If it is 255, try changing it to 252. If CMYK, and your white is 0, try changing it to 3. When a RIP see those pure white values of RGB 255 and CMYK 0, it thinks there is no data and will not print anything. I have had this issue printing with a white underlay where I ended up with holes in my print in areas of pure white. This solved the issue. Let us know...