Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

printing a reflective decal

Discussion in 'Gerber' started by tintgirl2000, Feb 22, 2009.

1. tintgirl2000

tintgirl2000 Member

Jul 24, 2007
    horn lake ms
    OK guys...ya'll always have the answer. I have to print some decals for fire dept., reflective of course. I know I need to use reflective white and I will be using my Edge. It is 4 spot colors. What foils do I use? Does it require me to buy special foils for this?
    Give me an idea of my best bet on the refective vinyl as well.
    Thanks

Tags:
  2. Shovelhead

Shovelhead Major Contributor

Dec 5, 2003
    Any foil and any vinyl recommended for thermal printing.

3. Malkin

Malkin Very Active Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Augusta, ME
    CMYK inks (& foils) are naturally translucent. You could print the art as cmyk (a setting in the print dialog) or or change the color fills manually beforehand.

Other than that, you may need to buy trans foils, but there not that many to choose from.

Tip: The Sunflower Yellow foil from ZeroNine's NexGen series is very translucent, even though it is not labeled as such.

4. iSign

iSign Major Contributor

Nov 29, 2003
    Kahului, Maui
    most non translucent colors allow some reflectivity to show through, as mentioned above, and this is true with Gerber foils as well

5. Mike Paul

Mike Paul Major Contributor

Dec 30, 2003
    NJ
    Gerber 280i reflective prints nice. You need to print with your CMYK or transparent foils for the printed color to be reflective.

6. iSign

iSign Major Contributor

Nov 29, 2003
    Kahului, Maui
    except when you don't