Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Printing an Ai file

Discussion in 'Digital Printing' started by SALVATORE, Oct 3, 2019.

Tags:
  1. SALVATORE

SALVATORE Member

Feb 2, 2005
    NEW FREEDOM PA
    Ok, I'm kind of new in the Digital Printing , so I come to ask for a question: sometime when I print a small Ai file let said a logo of 24"x30" I would scaled the logo to 6' proportional and send it to the printed , once I'm in the rip I will scaled back to the regular size 24"x 30" and send it on 16 past fast in RGB and take forever to print sometime dose it, and sometime it just print right away! what could be the problem??

Any help I will appreciate it at Advanced!

Thank to look.

Tags:
  2. SignMeUpGraphics

SignMeUpGraphics Moderator

Apr 11, 2012
    Australia
    What RIP are you using?

3. greysquirrel

greysquirrel Active Member

Aug 13, 2015
    West Berlin, NJ
    don't print .ai, psd or quark express files...save your .ai to a high resolution pdf...you will have better luck

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. cstone94

cstone94 Pro-Graphx

Feb 22, 2016
    United States
    Yeah a lot of RIP's dont like printing .AI. .PDF is your best bet.

5. mmcknight79

mmcknight79 FASTSIGNS of Garner

Nov 21, 2018
    North Carolina
    We print everything from PDF files.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. SALVATORE

SALVATORE Member

Feb 2, 2005
    NEW FREEDOM PA
    Thanks you guys for you Input! I will try to do so.

7. ABA Visibility Products

ABA Visibility Products Merchant Member

Jan 3, 2019
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Depends on the RIP. Caldera will happily take your AI file.

8. Dtron10

Dtron10 Graphic Design/Production

Sep 19, 2017
    New York
    We for the most part use EPS files for our printing files. Looks like you guys are more for the PDF files. Is that for better quality? My thoughts they mainly used ESP was because it's vector based (and I thought would stay more true with everything) please help enlighten me on this subject. Thank you in advance.

9. ikarasu

ikarasu Very Active Member

Jun 10, 2016
    Port Coquitlam, bc
    Why are you enlarging the photo to 72" and then shrinking it via the rip back to 30"? Now your rip has to resize it... Some rips rip and print on the fly, so doing that will increase the time. And if your pc is slow that'll delay printIng. I'd leave it at the size you want to print and fo it that way.

10. Bobby H

Bobby H Very Active Member

Feb 4, 2005
    Lawton, OK
    Unless the artwork is larger than 227" X 227" I design it at full size and output it that way without any scaling. If the artwork has any raster-based elements in it then I choose a PPI setting that isn't going to bog down the computer, but still look good. 72ppi works pretty well for most large format printing purposes (vehicle wraps, outdoor signs). For displays viewed closer, like a movie poster one-sheet, 150ppi is good.

Are you trying to imply PDF does not support vector-based artwork?

The decision whether to print using EPS or PDF files kind of boils down to the RIP a given shop is using and what features that RIP supports. Generally, I use PDF more often because it tends to be more reliable at outputting the latest bells and whistles from Adobe Illustrator (things like transparency effects, free form gradients, etc) as well as all kinds of "floated" raster-based artwork with transparent/clipped backgrounds.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1