• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing an Ai file

SALVATORE

Ok, I'm kind of new in the Digital Printing , so I come to ask for a question: sometime when I print a small Ai file let said a logo of 24"x30" I would scaled the logo to 6' proportional and send it to the printed , once I'm in the rip I will scaled back to the regular size 24"x 30" and send it on 16 past fast in RGB and take forever to print sometime dose it, and sometime it just print right away! what could be the problem??

Any help I will appreciate it at Advanced!

Thank to look.

Dtron10

Graphic Design/Production
We for the most part use EPS files for our printing files. Looks like you guys are more for the PDF files. Is that for better quality? My thoughts they mainly used ESP was because it's vector based (and I thought would stay more true with everything) please help enlighten me on this subject. Thank you in advance.

ikarasu

Why are you enlarging the photo to 72" and then shrinking it via the rip back to 30"? Now your rip has to resize it... Some rips rip and print on the fly, so doing that will increase the time. And if your pc is slow that'll delay printIng. I'd leave it at the size you want to print and fo it that way.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Unless the artwork is larger than 227" X 227" I design it at full size and output it that way without any scaling. If the artwork has any raster-based elements in it then I choose a PPI setting that isn't going to bog down the computer, but still look good. 72ppi works pretty well for most large format printing purposes (vehicle wraps, outdoor signs). For displays viewed closer, like a movie poster one-sheet, 150ppi is good.

Derek10 said:
We for the most part use EPS files for our printing files. Looks like you guys are more for the PDF files. Is that for better quality? My thoughts they mainly used ESP was because it's vector based (and I thought would stay more true with everything) please help enlighten me on this subject. Thank you in advance.

Are you trying to imply PDF does not support vector-based artwork?

The decision whether to print using EPS or PDF files kind of boils down to the RIP a given shop is using and what features that RIP supports. Generally, I use PDF more often because it tends to be more reliable at outputting the latest bells and whistles from Adobe Illustrator (things like transparency effects, free form gradients, etc) as well as all kinds of "floated" raster-based artwork with transparent/clipped backgrounds.

Last edited: