• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing and cut on silver and gold vynil

Bumblebee58627

Hi

I tried printing on gold and silver vinyl with my mimaki cjv30-130BS, the print came out pretty nice, but when it switched to cut mode the it couldnt pick up the registration marks.
I read in the mimaki manual that the vinyl must be white, to register.

My question is, are there any ways i can make it work to get the sensor to pick up the registration marks on silver or gold vinyl?

*I am asking this because a customer asked me if it can be done, and i said yes, but only block shaped labels, and he wants a contour cut label.

Thanks

kanini

Try sticking a piece of matte lam over the reg marks, can help in some cases. If no luck, print some crop marks on white vinyl and stick them on (try to position them as accurately as possible). Good luck!

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Hi

I tried printing on gold and silver vinyl with my mimaki cjv30-130BS, the print came out pretty nice, but when it switched to cut mode the it couldnt pick up the registration marks.
I read in the mimaki manual that the vinyl must be white, to register.

My question is, are there any ways i can make it work to get the sensor to pick up the registration marks on silver or gold vinyl?

*I am asking this because a customer asked me if it can be done, and i said yes, but only block shaped labels, and he wants a contour cut label.

I often print and contour cut on silver metallic [there's no reason to print on gold, just print the right yellow on the silver]. Using automatic registration marks is always a crap shoot. Far more often than not the plotter will fail to detect the automatic registration marks on the metallic and you end up throwing a perfectly good print in the trash.

With my tackle, Mutoh Value Jet and Graphtec FC-7000, now I always use manual registration marks and the plotter's built-in laser pointer on this media. I could just as well use a bomb-sight in the pen holder but since the plotter has the pointer feature, why bother. Your mileage may vary.

MikePro

I have the same issue when printing on clear/reflective/metallic vinyl. the sensor was designed to register using a white/opaque non-reflective surface. ...so just give it one my trick has always been to add 2" squares of masking tape or vinyl over the marks, and redraw them with a pen add'n tip: use a blade/pen to stab the endpoints of your lines. once tape/vinyl overlayed, you can better see the lines you need to redraw sometimes this isn't enough, and I'm required to run full-lengths of tape/vinyl between my registration marks but then it works like a charm.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
You could always go into service mode and have the sensor auto adjust to the gold or silver. You will want to adjust it back for white vinyl however. The newer model Mimakis actually allow you to do this in the user mode now for this reason.

Gene@mpls

We do a lot of 25 ft long cut decals and sometimes the reg marks need to be moved a little bit to 'fool' the cutter- so I have a roll of 2" white circles with reg marks printed in the middle to cover the old ones.

ironchef

Once i had to cut white vinyl and surround the rag marks with white vinyl and only leave the black lines

Bumblebee58627

Thank you everyone.
I also did the white vinyl strips between the printed marks , I'm glad I asked now i know im not the only one who does that.

Im sorry im very new to this forum dont know how to qoute:

bob
" I always use manual registration marks and the plotter's built-in laser pointer on this media"

VanderJ
You could always go into service mode and have the sensor auto adjust to the gold or silver. You will want to adjust it back for white vinyl however. The newer model Mimakis actually allow you to do this in the user mode now for this reason.​

Where is manual mode on the mamiki, i would like to try it.

Once i had to cut white vinyl and surround the rag marks with white vinyl and only leave the black lines

I also have the Vj / vinyl express set up. At one time my plotter would pick up registration marks on 651 silver. I believe over the years they may have darkened the tone just a bit because my plotter will no longer recognize the reg marks.

Pretty ironic I was getting on to question the exact same thing as this and I see someone else is in the same boat as I. I went with this method as mentioned above and it worked perfect. Thanks again guys for all the excellent guidance!:goodpost:

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
bob
" I always use manual registration marks and the plotter's built-in laser pointer on this media"

Where is manual mode on the mamiki, i would like to try it.

Using manual registration marks has nothing to do with any setting on the plotter. In Flexi it's all done in Production manager. I'm sure that other sodtware packages have their own way of dealing with this.

Nonetheless, in the Flexi RIP and Print dialog on the cut tab you select the first option in the Registration mark menu, you select '4 point', the first item on the menu in my system. This prints two concentric circles with a centered cross hair in each corner of the print instead of whatever registration marks it usually prints for your tackle.

When you cut the image Production manager will ask, if memory serves, if you want to use a bomb sight or set the marks digitally. Pick the bomb sight and then, because I have a built-in laser pointer, it asks if I want to use it. If you don't have bomb sight or a laser pointer, you can just use the tip of the blade. Especially if you crank the blade way out of the holder. Position the locator, be it laser, bomb sight, or blade, at the center of the first mark, respond to the prompt, the plotter will move to where it thinks the second mark ought to be, Position the marker exactly, and continue through all of the marks. When the last mark is positioned a prompt will ask you to replace the bomb sight with the blade holder no matter how you set the marks. Respond and the plotter will commence to do the contour cut.

This is another one of those things that's easier to do than to explain.

Andy D

I have put vinyl on top of the marks and with the reg mark barely visible, redraw them with a sharpie.

Bumblebee58627

You could always go into service mode and have the sensor auto adjust to the gold or silver. You will want to adjust it back for white vinyl however. The newer model Mimakis actually allow you to do this in the user mode now for this reason.

I have a Mimaki CJV30-130BS, how do i do this?

Also I use RasterLinkPro5SG , how do i do manual registration marks detection here?
I also use Mimaki Finecut , any way I can do it in this program?