• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing Backlit Sign

Wbgofd

I have a versacamm vpi printer. I have a backlit sign to do on a white acrylic substrate. I am not sure how to do this because I have heard that it will look washed out in the dark when the lights are on.
Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You
Larry

Billct2

Two prints, one on clear one on white. Apply the clear print then apply the white print, of course registering them is important.

Johnny Best

There are two schools on this, one being double strike on white translucent vinyl, the other is to print reversed on clear and one on white vinyl
then white on top with lining up clear on second surface so at night it comes out with nice colors. A light table is recomended for lining the prints up. It has been mentioned on here many times so the search forum might be handy for better explaination.

• Agree
Reactions: Bly

Correct Color

It's easy enough with a true backlit profile. The problem is that true backlit profiles need to be made with a transmissive spectrophotometer -- so that the reading light shines through the image as if it was backlit, as opposed to reflecting off of it, as if it was frontlit -- and there aren't a lot of those out there, much less people that know how to use them.

Short of using an actual backlit profile, your second option would probably be to double strike.

However, what you also might find is that once you get a suitable density for backlit, your client may not like the way the image looks frontlit. I've actually done some averaged profiles over the years to solve that problem, but it can be sort of a tricky thing to get right.

But just as with everything else you print, it's the profile you use that will determine the result you get.

(Edited to add: If your application will allow you to do any form of color/white/color sandwich as described by the two guys above, that will achieve your best day/night result.)

henryz

Hello Larry, if you do a normal print on white translucent vinyl, the print will wash out when lit. You can lay double ink which makes all the colors darker so when it's lighted the image will illuminate better, you can also print 2 layers of vinyl one white and one clear might want to reduce the ink saturation a bit and then apply the clear print on top of the white print once you do that then laminate the print which you will apply to your white acrylic, you are going to have to play around with your settings.

Hope this helps

Wbgofd

Hello Larry, if you do a normal print on white translucent vinyl, the print will wash out when lit. You can lay double ink which makes all the colors darker so when it's lighted the image will illuminate better, you can also print 2 layers of vinyl one white and one clear might want to reduce the ink saturation a bit and then apply the clear print on top of the white print once you do that then laminate the print which you will apply to your white acrylic, you are going to have to play around with your settings.

Hope this helps
Thank you to all who replied. I will do some experimenting.

printhog

As most have said - the proven way to do this is with two printed layers (per my 3M Scotchprint training over 20 years ago). The first is printed on a clear vinyl layer applied to the acrylic. The second is printed on translucent vinyl and applied over the first. Both prints are at normal density using a standard profile so you get the benefit of increased contrast at night, with proper daytime color. No special profile needed. The top layer gets laminated.

You float the top layer over the first with a lot of soapy water solution to prevent premature adhesion.. done with a light source to help align them. 3M translucent films have an adhesive that is friendly with this process. Tip - tape the vinyl along one edge and pull the release liner off the vinyl, not the vinyl off the liner (that stretches the vinyl)... do not use heat.

Its actually pretty easy (but messy) and the results are well worth it. but you must process the vinyls in the same direction.. do not rotate one from the other.

PRO TIP: you can do this process in reverse on second surface! The clear print becomes the viewing image layer (printed mirror reading), and the translucent (also printed mirror reading) becomes the diffuser/contrast layer. Second surface improves lifespan, eliminates the need for laminate in cabinet signs, and makes a VERY sexy sign with rich colors. If a sign can be sexy.

PRO TIP: You want to avoid any use of screen patterns in your rip, as they will cause moire, stick to stochastic patterns, or better yet a fixed dot random placement (FDRP) if your rip supports this.

Yes this uses twice the vinyl, but you charge 2.5x the price - its a premium for this.

ive produced 12 ft by 30 ft signs with this process.. attached is an 8'x10'

Attachments

• Dr McClurg.jpg
    Dr McClurg.jpg
    578.5 KB · Views: 453

Gary Wiant

When we print translucent vinyl we set the printer to overprint 2x, print delay of 1 sec, and uni-directional. I have tried the 2 prints on trans. / clear and I really don't like the look once done, if it is viewed from a long distance it may be fine but up close wasn't the look I was wanting.

Good luck