• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing both sides?

Westlandent

I've so far been told most people, for a two sided banner for instance, print two images head to head than have them stitched for a two sided end product.

Of course the "powers that be" Would love me to just un-roll and feed the banner back through to print the other side... a lot of possible pitfalls come to mind. Does anyone do this?

I'm running HP25500, thanks in advance and pardon my rampant newbieness here.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
We do it all the time. Not too hard. I start by test printing a thin line the exact width the banner needs and adjust in the RIP to get it dead center on the material. Once I know the correct margin to make it print dead center, I advance a small bit of material on the printer and make a small pencil mark on the edge of the banner material and set the origin. Then print. When it's done release the material and back roll it back onto the roll, flip the roll, use the same pencil mark to set the origin on the second side.

Westlandent

Many thanks

OK cool, thanks very much for the quick reply. I was a little concerned about the printed side getting "recooked" as it were.
Thanks again!

Mosh

Be sure to block-out material, or you will be able to see the design on the other side show through....

Last edited:

Westlandent

Hey thanks again for the replies!

I am *really* green at this so the last two replies are kind of cryptic to me.
Can I get an explanation of "Block" and "+1" at you leisure please?

I have been in Printing Prep for more years than I care to mention... maybe I can help out here with Adobe app questions lolz.

Truly thanks again.

Jac

J Hill Designs

block out is banner material made for double sided - light is blocked out from coming through...

+1 just means he recommends the same

Graphics2u

I've done this many times and it works good with a little bit time spent on where you printer origin point is. One thing I have found though is that for some reason I have to use lower temp settings on the 2nd side for some reason otherwise it will start to wrinkle and give possible head strikes. I chalked that up to the solvents on the other side of the banner.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Best to let the first side dry overnight - especially if it is glossy banner stock. The combination of the glossy stock and somewhat glossy ink makes it try to stick to the machine some when flipped to go back through and yes - lowering the temps for the second side also helps. Not as much of a problem on matte stocks but you still have to watch things regardless.

I've done this many times and it works good with a little bit time spent on where you printer origin point is. One thing I have found though is that for some reason I have to use lower temp settings on the 2nd side for some reason otherwise it will start to wrinkle and give possible head strikes. I chalked that up to the solvents on the other side of the banner.

drive

Best to let the first side dry overnight - especially if it is glossy banner stock. The combination of the glossy stock and somewhat glossy ink makes it try to stick to the machine some when flipped to go back through and yes - lowering the temps for the second side also helps. Not as much of a problem on matte stocks but you still have to watch things regardless.

Running an HP L25500 right? If so, the above doesn't quite apply due to the difference in inks. There should be no stickiness and turning down the heat may cause ore problems curing the ink. DO let the first side cool off properly though.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Ah - no.... I was assuming solvent inks. If latex then yes - different ballgame for sure. I do not really know much about the peculiarities of running a latex ink machine.

Running an HP L25500 right? If so, the above doesn't quite apply due to the difference in inks. There should be no stickiness and turning down the heat may cause ore problems curing the ink. DO let the first side cool off properly though.

WinGraphics

Premium Subscriber
We charge more than double for 2 sided banners. The materiel costs 3 times as much....and if something bad is going to happen during the print stage it will happen on the second side just before the banner finishes printing!:frustrated:

Malkin

We charge the same for a double sided banner as we would for 2 single-faced.
They are a PAIN-IN-THE-@$$