• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

PRINTING DIRECTLY ON PLEXY - pros and cons and longevity issue

mitsfreak12

Hi Anyone,

Hoping some one can acknowledge the idea of this process. I have a client needed to produce a new graphic signage in their show room. It is a big corporate and what they have in there right now is close to as having an interactive museum in their corporate office. They wanted to replace one section which has about an area of 12ft wide x 10 ft high and they wanted this to have it as a light box system. Thus I recommended to use an LED system panel which has the ability to control the brightness of the LED lights. Also recommended a backlit film graphic print second surface mounted on the plexi. End product, the graphic is encapsulated between the LED panel and Clear Plexi. Finishing part of the edge will have an aluminum frame on all sides of the LED panel.

Client however requested to direct print the graphic on the plex and avoid any framing on the LED panel. The frame finishing is the only way to hold the LED and plexi panels. My printer supplier suggested that its not the greatest to do direct to print plexi as it may not last as how they expect it. Does anyone here have another suggestion?

Bottom line.... NO FRAME and DIRECT PRINT on plexi.

thank you in advance.

StarSign

We do direct to surface prints and second surface prints on acrylic all the time for interior signs, they turn out great never have had a problem yet.

artbot

Optix DA (digital acrylic). the coating on this acrylic has some serious mojo for ink adhesion. you can get ink to stick to acrylic with some precise settings. but for really bullet proof stick go with the DA.