• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing Double Sided banners on VJ?

LenXIII

I was wondering if anyone has tried printing double sided banners on the valuejet models? I have a 1614. I sometimes get requests for banners that are truely doublesided and not just two pieces folded over and sewn.

Here are my main concerns:
1) Assuming you can do it, are there any bail marks shown after printing on either side? I noticed some printers tend to leave marks behind when running the reverse side because of the pressure from the rollers or bails.

2) When I center my print image in flexi, I notice it always tends to still print roughly 1/2" further to one side. (one side will have a 4" white gap, while the other has a 5", meaning it is 1/2" off center) This would be a huge problem when trying to line up the reverse side??

Any suggestions or advice on the possibilties would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

randya

1. Depends on media and dry time, I do have customers printing double sided on these machines.

2. The VJ requires a margin on each side of appox 5 mm (12 mm is approx 1/2 inch)
Normally the RIP should compensate for this when you choose media width. Try cutting this 1/2 off your media width and see if it centers.

Graphics2u

1. I do it on my Falcon II Outdoor. Never noticed any marks.

2. Try Randya's Idea, or don't use the centering function and measure what you need for a margin and then subtract the printers default margin and you should be close.

If you are using Tape to hem the banner be sure to leave a gap that is not printed otherwise the tape won't adhere.

It's a little of trial and error until you get the margins figured out. I also have to turn the heat down on the second side or els it will pucker up real bad. Not sure why unless it has something to do with the ink on the reverse side absorbing or holding more heat.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Center the image manually, don't rely on the center function. Don't be dismayed if you have to make a couple of starts to get it right.

Cut the leading edge of the banner material square.

Load the material for side one.

Use two pieces of masking tape on the platten. One aligning with the right edge of the media, the other aligning with the front edge of the media.

Print the first side.

Wind the banner back on a roll core. Make sure it's straight on the core.

Reload the banner using the same leading edge. Align the media to the two pieces of masking tape you applied for the first side.

Print the second side upside down.

If you did it right, both sides should be aligned to each other. The left to right alignment will be spot on. The top to bottom alignment will be dependent on how well you centered the image and how straight your media was running.

TheSnowman

I sub mine out. I did a small one once and didn't get it close enough that I felt good giving it to a customer, and I knew it'd take a lot of practice to get a big one right. Instead of throwing away all that material and time, we have merchant members here that can print it for just above my cost...so I use them.

greglauter

I just knocked out two 3 x 8's double sided using a block out banner material and it worked great. I have the VJ 1204 and I printed the first side with a full roll of 48 inch banner (flush right), I added an additional 2 feet towards the end and cut. Once dried and flipped it over, cut it down to 3 feet wide and rolled it on to a new core. Printed flush right and it lands 100% were it needs to go. Hope this helps

Biker Scout

We use the Platen's leading edge to determine how far to load the material the second time around. We will first load the material, then cut along the platen's edge after it's done loading and initializing. RIP and Print, let dry. Allow some rear flap after you cut it. Loading it the second side is as easy as feeding it until the cut edge is flush with the edge of the platen, like our first initial cut.

RIP and Print the second image. Perfect!

(We always print the rougher textured side first, as once it's cured it can handle being loaded and fed through the second side with less scratches than the smooth side can)