• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing Engine Turn

kalvix

I understand that many people are now printing Engine Turns on clear or clear vinyl and then mounting them onto silver or gold chrome to simulate engine turn.

My client would like 1.25" turns, but I've been having problems getting the exact good solution. any suggestions of setting this up in illustrator?

SignManiac

Alien Skins plug in. "Impact" is the one then select brushed metal effect. You can set your size to any radius.

Forgot to mention...Check Fred's stuff, he probably has one there already.

Attachments

• engine turn.jpg
    engine turn.jpg
    258.7 KB · Views: 303

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Here's a close up of one of our Engine Turn seamless tiles. You could print it directly on gold or clear as you suggest either as is or with the color lightened in Photoshop first. The scale is very easy to adjust to your needs just by reducing the size or by first defining it as a pattern in Photoshop and then using the scaling slider. The pattern itself in the seamless tile (not the closeup shown here) is infinitely repeatable so your final quality is very good.

Attachments

• engine_turn_large07.jpg
    engine_turn_large07.jpg
    362 KB · Views: 206

HulkSmash

Here's a close up of one of our Engine Turn seamless tiles. You could print it directly on gold or clear as you suggest either as is or with the color lightened in Photoshop first. The scale is very easy to adjust to your needs just by reducing the size or by first defining it as a pattern in Photoshop and then using the scaling slider. The pattern itself in the seamless tile (not the closeup shown here) is infinitely repeatable so your final quality is very good.

Fred, that's some nice quality engine turn.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Dave Dorsey.................................................. that name sounds familiar :Oops:​

jfiscus

Rap Master
I don't see how printing this in any way would make it "turn" as real engine turn does as you look at it from angles... does it?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I don't see how printing this in any way would make it "turn" as real engine turn does as you look at it from angles... does it?

Engine Turned refers to the finishing of metal with a machine turned pattern. I've never heard it described as an effect designed to look like it is actually turning. So it seems to me that what you're describing is the way the pattern would react on a reflective surface such as shiny gold. If that is the case, then you probably would get a similar effect by printing the engine turned pattern shown earlier in this thread onto shiny gold instead of simply white media. I can't say for certain since I've never tried it. Perhaps, Kalvix or JR's could give you a better answer.

Si Allen

Printed engine turn will look like the real thing ... BUT ... will not "move" like the real thing because it is not 3 dimensional.

Printed will work nicely as a presentation, but not well on a vehicle.

"Gold is gold and paint ain't!"

:omg2: