Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Printing Engine Turn

Discussion in 'Designs & Layouts' started by kalvix, Mar 30, 2011.

1. kalvix

kalvix Member

Apr 17, 2005
    washington dc
    I understand that many people are now printing Engine Turns on clear or clear vinyl and then mounting them onto silver or gold chrome to simulate engine turn.

My client would like 1.25" turns, but I've been having problems getting the exact good solution. any suggestions of setting this up in illustrator?

Tags:
  2. JR's

JR's Very Active Member

Sep 6, 2007
    swansea Ma 02777
    :popcorn:

3. SignManiac

SignManiac Major Contributor

Mar 25, 2006
    Mars Florida
    Alien Skins plug in. "Impact" is the one then select brushed metal effect. You can set your size to any radius.

Forgot to mention...Check Fred's stuff, he probably has one there already.

Attached Files:

4. Fred Weiss

Fred Weiss Merchant Member

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    Here's a close up of one of our Engine Turn seamless tiles. You could print it directly on gold or clear as you suggest either as is or with the color lightened in Photoshop first. The scale is very easy to adjust to your needs just by reducing the size or by first defining it as a pattern in Photoshop and then using the scaling slider. The pattern itself in the seamless tile (not the closeup shown here) is infinitely repeatable so your final quality is very good.

Attached Files:

5. HulkSmash

HulkSmash Major Contributor

Sep 10, 2010
    Denver.
    Fred, that's some nice quality engine turn.

6. Fred Weiss

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    Thanks. I never much cared for the blurred effect used by Alien Skin or Mr. Dave Dorsey. :ROFLMAO: Having the actual grooves clearly defined works a lot better as you step back from it.

7. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Dave Dorsey.................................................. that name sounds familiar :Oops:​

8. JR's

JR's Very Active Member

Sep 6, 2007
    swansea Ma 02777
    Thanks Fred

:thumb: :thumb:

JR

9. Fred Weiss

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    And thanks to you JR. Post a pic when you use it.

10. jfiscus

jfiscus Map Wraster

Apr 2, 2009
    Cincinnati, OH
    I don't see how printing this in any way would make it "turn" as real engine turn does as you look at it from angles... does it?

11. Pat Whatley

Pat Whatley Major Contributor

Sep 29, 2003
    Wetumpka, AL
    The clip art business isn't doing that well. Last I heard he'd started calling himself Diemond Dave and was teaching self defense classes.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2U-ZQMf56I

12. Fred Weiss

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    Engine Turned refers to the finishing of metal with a machine turned pattern. I've never heard it described as an effect designed to look like it is actually turning. So it seems to me that what you're describing is the way the pattern would react on a reflective surface such as shiny gold. If that is the case, then you probably would get a similar effect by printing the engine turned pattern shown earlier in this thread onto shiny gold instead of simply white media. I can't say for certain since I've never tried it. Perhaps, Kalvix or JR's could give you a better answer.

13. Si Allen

Si Allen Very Active Member

Jul 17, 2004
    Printed engine turn will look like the real thing ... BUT ... will not "move" like the real thing because it is not 3 dimensional.

Printed will work nicely as a presentation, but not well on a vehicle.

"Gold is gold and paint ain't!"

:omg2: