Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Printing golf balls ...durability

Discussion in 'Digital Printing' started by matic serbelj, Aug 17, 2020.

1. matic serbelj

matic serbelj New Member

Mar 2, 2020
    slovenia
    Hey!

I recently bought a mimaki ujf 6042 mkii and am printing on golf balls. The print is good but am searching for a method so that the print lasts a bit longer than one round. Do you guys spray the balls with another clear coat? I thought about dipping the balls in a clear coat and leaving them to dry. Any other ideas?

Tags:
  2. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Ahh, wouldn't that change the way it soars through the air, if the clear is not applied properly ?? You cannot just let them drip-dry. They need to be painted uniformly, thus preventing balls from cutting...... or filling in some of the dimples.

3. Bingleardicus

Bingleardicus Terd Ferguson

Nov 14, 2017
    Cleveland TN
    What is your ink configuration on this unit?

4. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    One round from a printed golfball? That would seem par for the course...
    Best solution, tell them not to hit it so many times. Otherwise print instructions on the ball for rotating the ball so the print faces forward before every stroke?

• Hilarious! Hilarious! x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Superior_Adam

Superior_Adam Member

Dec 13, 2017
    Wichita, Kansas
    UV print will not stay on a golf ball for more than a few holes. Even if you could rotate the ball to where the club head is not hitting it there will still be impact from hitting other objects like cart paths and trees. By the rules your not supposed to rotate your ball in the fairway and that would just be a nuisance anyway. Best way would be to pad print them to get better life, UV printing is for decoration on them not playing them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Bingleardicus

Bingleardicus Terd Ferguson

Nov 14, 2017
    Cleveland TN

I have not had the same experience with my UV method.

Pad print is preferable for durability

7. Jun Lanon

Jun Lanon Member

Oct 9, 2018
    California
    There's a guy from Dallas who's printing on golf balls using a stratojet flatbed. He applies promoter and printing it on 8 passes. Works fine for him.

8. Chriswagner92

Chriswagner92 Member

Aug 26, 2013
    nc
    If they make it to the end of a round that would be decent in my book

9. BALLPARK

BALLPARK Member

Dec 5, 2008
    Radford, VA
    I researched options for golf ball logos...

I was hoping to find a UV printer that could speed up the process and hit full color on the logos. It's more like a shank using UV from my time researching UV printers for golf balls in terms of making them last.

We will move to pad printing for golf balls when our partner company launches. We found some nice entry level and mid range pad printers that could do enough balls with enough colors to make it worth investing into it.

There is one person on this website that has a great deal of knowledge on golf ball printing. I forget his name, but I think he is from overseas. His company makes a ton of custom printed balls... Perhaps he has some knowledge to lend on what other types of UV printing can be done with golf balls in terms of the process. Search the system here for custom golf balls or something like that to see if you can find him.

Good luck... I'm sure you will make some cool golf balls!

10. MikePatterson

MikePatterson Head bathroom cleaner.

Why not set up a nail bed so after you print them you can spray a light coat of clear over the print area.

11. matic serbelj

matic serbelj New Member

Mar 2, 2020
    slovenia
    little update ..

Just played a round and the balls look good. The print on the balls looks good. I was surprised. I will try the nail bed option also, and spray a light coat ...

12. StratoJet

StratoJet Merchant Member

Aug 31, 2020
    USA
    • Like Like x 1