Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Printing Halftones on Edge 2

Discussion in 'Gerber' started by Ricardo Gonzalez, Feb 20, 2020.

1. Ricardo Gonzalez

Ricardo Gonzalez New Member

Jan 23, 2020
    Switzerland
    Hello,

I am wondering if there is a way to print halftones of spot colors by changing the temperature and thus getting a solid color instead of having the prints as per the attached picture, with patterns to emulate the tone. Thanks!

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. MikePatterson

MikePatterson Head bathroom cleaner.

No. The head temp is relatively set. It is some what controlled by the RIP software (IE orange needs a little more heat than black). If you turned the heat down on the head it would not melt the ink from the liner to the vinyl.
    It's not like using a inkjet that can lay down less ink to create a lighter color.
    It burns the foil in at 100% all the time. That's why the dot pattern is smaller to simulate a lighter color.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    You can select "darker" or "lighter" in the settings and also try different halftone setting, Fine will often given a smoother look.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ricardo Gonzalez

Jan 23, 2020
    Switzerland
    Thanks guys, unfortunately that was what I expected

5. Joe House

Joe House Active Member

Feb 5, 2004
    WA
    You can use different halftone settings. That looks like a large dot size. The Edge2 can go pretty fine. Try setting the halftone setting to a finer setting. The trade off is usually in gradients though. Larger dots give smoother transitions in larger printers and smaller dots will give more banding (I know, it seems a little backwards, but that's how it is.) If this is just a shade of of a color that remains constant, you should be ok though. Another option is to use a spectratone combination to get lighter shades.

Good Luck,

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ricardo Gonzalez

Jan 23, 2020
    Switzerland
    Thanks Joe I will try to play with the dot size.

7. WhiskeyDreamer

WhiskeyDreamer Professional Snow Ninja

Aug 6, 2007
    Riften
    I almost always print with Fine Dot because it's not as "dotty," but it's a halftone, so it's going to happen.

8. jfiscus

jfiscus Map Wraster

Apr 2, 2009
    Cincinnati, OH
    There are tint colors also that are thanslucent, but they'd achieve a similar effect on a fade.