• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing in a cold shop

0igo

Does anyone here print in a cold shop? i have problems every year around this time with printing. Material tends to give me head strikes when i print. I think its because its too cold in my shop. Does anyone have a solution for this?
27044641_1944995238863180_1776856230_n.jpg

papabud

Lone Wolf
yes your equipment prefers a certain temperature level. go above or below that and it will not preform as expected. not much different then when you get out of a warm pool and the cold air hits you.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Good Grief, go to aisle 47 and look around on the shelves. If you don't see what you want..... ask one of the Home Depot helpers.

Without knowing the size of the room/area, temperatures you have overnight and throughout the day, what heat you already have or any number of things, that's like asking someone...... which tooth do you use while eating ??

DerbyCitySignGuy

You're never going to get an area of your shop the right temperature/humidity to satisfy your printer.

Finish (frame an area of your shop for the printer and put in temperature and humidity control. You'll end up spending less time and money in the long run. I learned this the hard way, sadly.

[Edit: By finish, I mean frame out an area, drywall, insulate (if necessary), make a room that's specifically for your printer. Added benefit of keeping dust and dirt down.]

• Agree
Reactions: Haw

AKwrapguy

Used to have this issue all the time as well. Pretty much the only ting to do is bring in additional heat source. I had the best luck with a radiant heat source rather than one that blows air around as it didn't create as much as an issue for static and humidity.

d fleming

Yep, 4 walls and a heater for your stock and printer. Material is cold enough that it buckles when the printers' heaters do their thing because of sharp increase in temp of vinyl.

0igo

Used to have this issue all the time as well. Pretty much the only ting to do is bring in additional heat source. I had the best luck with a radiant heat source rather than one that blows air around as it didn't create as much as an issue for static and humidity.
thank for this, ill go out and look for a better heat source. Do you remember what brand heater you used?

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
If you have natural gas hang a gas heater from your ceiling. Propane will work just as well but it will cost a taste more to operate it. They come in all sizes and will heat most any space, finished or unfinished. If installing one is beyond your skill level get a plumber to do it. You should be able to escape for less than $500.00, heater, gas plumbing, thermostat and all. Spend it. If you don't you'll end up with a succession of crappy space heaters that'll end up costing you more. Ask me how I know this.

ChicagoGraphics

Get yourself a kerosene heater, they work great, can heat large area and there is no smell, I'm not talking about the heater with the fan.

equippaint

We have some torpedo heaters, I think 120k BTU. Tractor supply carries them and they have them on amazon too. We heat our paint booth with one (no insulation in it) which is 18'x18'x50', can get it 90 with an outside temp in the 30s. We use them in our shop too. They're cheap, run on electric and diesel.

ChicagoGraphics

We have some torpedo heaters, I think 120k BTU. Tractor supply carries them and they have them on amazon too. We heat our paint booth with one (no insulation in it) which is 18'x18'x50', can get it 90 with an outside temp in the 30s. We use them in our shop too. They're cheap, run on electric and diesel.

But they smell really bad, with K1 kerosene no smell what so ever and will heat upto 80 degrees when the weather is below zero, but also depends how well ininsulated it is

DerbyCitySignGuy

Seriously, spend a little extra money and build a room for your printer. Trying to reliably heat up (or cool off) an area around the printer is Sisyphean. Build a small room, put the printer and essentials in there, and call it a day. You'll save yourself a ton of headaches.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Seriously, spend a little extra money and build a room for your printer. Trying to reliably heat up (or cool off) an area around the printer is Sisyphean. Build a small room, put the printer and essentials in there, and call it a day. You'll save yourself a ton of headaches.

Easier said than done, when it's in your dining room...........:roflmao: