• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing in a garage, Few questions

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
What about neighbors? If you are connected, which most townhomes are you likely could bother them too. And venting outside, same possible issue.

J

john1

Some of you guys really have me under the impression that you must have a shop that's a mile away from any form of life if you have a eco sol printer lol

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Well, we're in an industrial zone. We're allowed to do most anything we want within the laws, except we can't sandblast outside. Our neighbors to the back of us blast all the time, but they are so hidden they get away with it.

Again, I believe we are over-regulated in this country, but when it comes to putting these things in a home, I don't care if you're set up legal or not.... but why would anyone take the chance of hurting their children knowingly ??

Chances are you won't hurt them, but what if you do ?? Could you really live with that ?? What if the dog keeled over... he's kinda close to the floor all the time if you like the theory this stuff stays close to the ground.

Having a few people here say yea or nay just doesn't sound like a good argument not to vent heavily or move into a safer place. It's all about choices and if you're the head choice maker in the house... you'd better be making good choices and decisions for all involved.

So, you don't want a safer place cause you'd have some yard work and that's more important than either hiring someone to do it or possibly having some health issues. Okay, that makes sense to me............... :doh:

J

john1

I just got off the phone with a guy who works at a vendor who has worked with Rolands for over 20 years and he told me he wouldn't even sell me a air scrubber if i am doing that little of printing because "The eco sol max inks aren't bad at all and you have nothing to worry about". He said he has had inks dripping off his hands and the whole nine during his time as a Roland tech. He explained even with the air scrubber alone you don't need to vent or do any of that nonsense because it's not full solvent and scrubbers do that well of a filtering job. He said now the Mimaki's on the other hand are a different animal but that's not what i have.

I guess it's really up in the air on what to do if you use a eco solvent machine and don't print much.

d fleming

Ah, corogloss and xylene splash to the eye...can feel it like it was just this morning.Water doesn't wipe corogloss out of your eye either.

OldPaint

Some of you guys really have me under the impression that you must have a shop that's a mile away from any form of life if you have a eco sol printer lol
NICE!! you take it to the extreme, when its not what you want to hear? really smart thing to do.
i have a shop 24' x 30' x 16', 60 feet from WHERE I LIVE. i spray paint, glue stuff and run my vehicle in there. when i do run a vehicle in there, if i have the doors closed, i have a flexible hose that goes over the tailpipe and a small door that the hose goes into to take out fumes.
as to the townhouse, you got a couple of people other then yourself interconnected with your garage. the way they build these place today no telling how much air moves between each of them. and as for the roland guy tellin you how it dont bother him........NOW, what will it do to him in later years? also everybody id not the same as him. EX. me i can lay down a filed of poison ivy, oak or sumac.....and never bother me. other people cant be in 1000 ft of it without suffering blisters. i cant bite into a mango, my mouth breaks out and my lips are on fire. so it might not bother you...........but it might really hurt someone else.

ThinkRight

Roland uses to differentiate its products: “To me ‘eco-solvent’ means an ink that can be run in an office environment that’s not going to give off an objectionable odor and the level of VOCs makes them safe enough to operate in an office environment where people are close to the printer, without any need for special ventilation or fume control.”
Nomenclature aside, mild solvent ink is more than just a marketing ploy. As a whole, mild solvent inks are relatively less harmful to the environment and relatively less objectionable to the human beings who handle them than full-strength true solvent inks are. But “relatively” is the operative word here. It’s a matter of differentiating quantities and percentages, and relative volatility of the solvents used in ink formulations. There’s a trade-off involving a number of factors such as color gamut, ink adhesion, print speed, dry time, media compatibility and outdoor durability–as well as overall environmental impact.

The Flaar Reports glossary goes on to explain “eco-solvent ink (and most mild-solvent) must lack cyclohexanone to be called eco-solvent.”
http://sdgmag.com/article/specialty-imaging/ink-technology
http://www.nusignsupply.com/documents/MSDS/Roland_ECO-SOL_MAX_MSDS.pdf
Everyone is different,you decide what is best for you.If it was me....I would do it....
What am I saying,I am going to do it.

sardocs

My sp300 has been in my basement shop for the last 7 years. There isn't any smell upstairs in our living quarters. Wiping substrates down with wax 'n' grease remover smells a thousand times worse than the printer does. It smells more when I use 1Shot on a sign than when I print one.

MikePatterson

Head bathroom cleaner.
Read the warning on the yellow eco sol ....says something about may cause cancer....only the yellow says this.

But only in California and only in lab rats. I think we are safe but I do have this baby arm that is growing out of my back. And my kiddo runs real fast with that third leg.

Salmoneye

Hey Mark, I have a baby arm growing out of my front but that is a whole other story. Liquid propane when it turns to a gas is heavier than air and sinks to the ground, liquid natural gas when it turns to vapor is lighter than air and rises. Gas, fumes, vapor, whatever you want to call them can be heavier or lighter than air and you have to treat the ones that you are dealing with accordingly.

4R Graphics

I know a guy that has 2 versa camms that print about 1 hour a day. The printers are located in a room about the size of a 2 car garage there is NO ventilation or air scrubbers at all and there are lots of people always around in side the building that his room is in. The building is a huge 2 story building roughlly 100' wide and 200'-300' long. Oh and this is a goverment facility on a base and heavilly regulated by every regulating comission known to man. So I would say your probablly good as long as your using rolands eco inks as that is what he uses. The stae inspectors tour the building at least 2 or 3 times a year. They get in trouble for isopropyl alcohol not being dispossed of properlly so if the printers and ink were that harmefull I am sure they would have put him in a ventilated area with scrubbers and everything else after all it is the goverment and they spend stupid money on stuff.

Mainframe

When you get the garage, take a pic of it empty inside with the door up. Then blow up the pic and tile it on some coro, then make a wall out of the pic so when you open up the door the place looks empty. Keep the whistle blowers guessing. Just put all your equipment behind the door.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
When you get the garage, take a pic of it empty inside with the door up. Then blow up the pic and tile it on some coro, then make a wall out of the pic so when you open up the door the place looks empty. Keep the whistle blowers guessing. Just put all your equipment behind the door.

That's too funny...I was thinking the same thing!

JB

Techman

on the MSDS sheets.
They say glycol. Yes?
That's alcohol.
There are hundreds of alcohols. One is a little safer to drink. The rest are poisons. Some are orderless yet still can cause changes.
Some cause reproductive organ changes. So go ahead and breath that crap all you want. Never mind your body cannot detect it no matter how high the concentrations. Oh? if you cannot smell it then it must be SAFE???? If those prints dry fast they contain alcohols and some other solvents.