• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing like Summa

Squeezie

I've used both also. I used an Edge at a company I used to work almost 10 years ago, and I just bought a new Summa DC4sx about 4 months ago. I always liked the Edge, but what made up my mind was the fact that I only need to buy one machine, and I could print/cut straight out of Corel. It has been a while since I used the Edge, so I don't know much different they are now but from what I read, it didn't sound like much had changed. I would have had to purchase the Edge, the plotter and the pricey software that I never cared much for anyway. I haven't had any problems with contour cuts, I've done larger vehicle graphics and smaller 1" decals without problems. The only problems I've had, I've been able to make a call to Summa support and have it figured out within 15 minutes. You are more limited on materials and supplies, but I have a friend with a 54" ink jet that I sub out work too. In a perfect world, I'd have the room to have one of each, a thermal and an ink jet! :) One thing that does irk me a little about my Summa is that on every job, it runs almost a foot of material before the print/cut starts, so I'm wasting a lot vinyl. I try to group jobs together and print everything all at once to cut down on that. I don't remember the Edge doing that. If you you're going to do a lot of small quantities of small decals, the Edge might be better for you. If you're going to do larger stuff, you might want one of the Summa's. One more thing to keep in mind, since to you don't have to change out the cartridges in the Summa, it's a little easier to multi-task. You send it to print and leave the room to do something else and it'll be done when you're ready for it.

woolly

i have been following this thread with interest as i require a newer thermal machine.
i have been using a pc60 since they came out and for what i want it for, its next to superb.
my concerns are the quality of small 1-2mm text and the accuracy of the cut. both the strong point of the pc60.
will a edge fx or a dc4sx do it for me ? only small vector graphics

i have a soljet pro2 - large epson and a3+ lasers so picture prints and large graphics are covered.

your thoughts and experiences will be helpful
thanks for reading

woolly