• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing Magnetic Roll on Seiko 104S

Grizzly

It’s all about your print!
For the last 15 years we've always printed our magnets on our flatbeds by cutting the needed sheet size from roll magnetic up 120" and laying those down on the flatbed and printing. This works great because we usually only print 2-8 12x24s at a time. I have a job for 50' of magnet (100ea 12x12) and wondering what everyone's success rate is for Eco-Solvent on magnetic. I'll most likely use .030 Magnum Magnetics Digimag. Anything I should be aware of when printing? Any issues with consistent pull due to the thickness and weight of the magnet?
Thanks for your help!

HaleYeah

I would break the job up into manageable sections that will be good size to cut down when printed. It would be hard to print the entire 150' with all the weight.

rjssigns

0.030" may be a tad tall running the risk of a brutal head strike. Was told no on my Roland, not even going t try it on my Mutoh. I ran the fridge magnet on the Roland at 0.015" but that caused it own issues.

If I had a flatbed I wouldn't even consider anything else.

HaleYeah

Since we got a flatbed printing the magnets have been easier. With the media thickness is there any option in your machine to raise the print heads.? But yes the risk of head strikes is always scary.

Joseph44708

I Drink And I Know Things
I just finished printing eight rolls of Flex Mag 30.5"×50' roll to take up roll on my Roland
Eco Sol XR-640 . No problems at all.
Each roll yielded 600 + individual magnets sized at 5.1"×3.5". 22 designs at 28 each.
Solvent ink dries to the touch pretty quick and dry enough to cut within a couple of hours.
Before the Roland I did the same thing on a
Seiko w-54.
The magnet material is 0.30

Last edited:

Zach Starr

Head of Printing Operations
Yes,
Since we got a flatbed printing the magnets have been easier. With the media thickness is there any option in your machine to raise the print heads.? But yes the risk of head strikes is always scary.

Yes, I would second that. After getting a flatbed printer, printing on magnets have gotten faster and easier. In roll to roll printing i think i have only seen it on the Stratojet roll printer, as that had the ability to adjust head height like flatbed printers..

ikarasu

Weve tried a few times with our latex. It worked good, then one day we Had a bad head strike that killed two heads....

Now we just print on cheap vinyl and laminate it ontop of the magnet when we have a full roll to do. No risk of a head strike and it only takes 10-15 mins to roll it in via the laminator.