• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing on Banners - Inside of Roll?

80PRINT

Hello!

I've been outsourcing wide-format prints for about 4 years now and decided to pickup all the necessities to do it myself. Ive been printing on my Mimaki JV33 for about a month now and since I got a few Banner orders, decided to grab some material....

So I picked up a 36" Roll of Gloss Banner and it was glossy on the inside of the roll not the outwards facing one?!?

What do I do, print on the inside? Does this apply to all banner materials and how they come? Should I be aware of other materials that do this as well?

So far I've mostly just printed Vinyls and Posters, but this is new to me. Any info would be most amazingly appreciated!

Mosh

Most banner material I get is rolled inside (reverse wound). Print on the smooth side.

Here is a tip, load the banner material then roll out the length you need behind the printer giving the printer slack so it is not pulling it off the roll.
The material will not bind up so much that way.
If you just print it like you do vinyl you will see what I mean. Also I run 6" out in front before I print....I sometimes even hang small weights on the front to keep it flat.. run a few test banners and you will see what I am talking about.

Last edited:

HulkSmash

maybe it was reversed wound? You don't want to print on the rough side that might have some sort of cross hatching from stitching.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Yup, just reverse wound is all. Nothing at all special need be done on a JV33 with reverse wound material. Just load the roll upside down and run as usual.