Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.


  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Printing on Banners - Inside of Roll?

Discussion in 'Digital Printing' started by 80PRINT, Oct 24, 2012.

  1. 80PRINT

    80PRINT New Member

    Sep 2, 2012

    I've been outsourcing wide-format prints for about 4 years now and decided to pickup all the necessities to do it myself. Ive been printing on my Mimaki JV33 for about a month now and since I got a few Banner orders, decided to grab some material....

    So I picked up a 36" Roll of Gloss Banner and it was glossy on the inside of the roll not the outwards facing one?!?

    What do I do, print on the inside? Does this apply to all banner materials and how they come? Should I be aware of other materials that do this as well?

    So far I've mostly just printed Vinyls and Posters, but this is new to me. Any info would be most amazingly appreciated!
  2. Mosh

    Mosh Major Contributor

    Oct 19, 2009
    Most banner material I get is rolled inside (reverse wound). Print on the smooth side.

    Here is a tip, load the banner material then roll out the length you need behind the printer giving the printer slack so it is not pulling it off the roll.
    The material will not bind up so much that way.
    If you just print it like you do vinyl you will see what I mean. Also I run 6" out in front before I print....I sometimes even hang small weights on the front to keep it flat.. run a few test banners and you will see what I am talking about.
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  3. Coloradosigns

    Coloradosigns Major Contributor

    Sep 10, 2010
    maybe it was reversed wound? You don't want to print on the rough side that might have some sort of cross hatching from stitching.
  4. john1

    john1 Guest

    Print on the inside aka smooth side. It's reverse wound.
  5. 2B

    2B Moderator

    May 5, 2011


    sounds like reverse wound
  6. SightLine

    SightLine Very Active Member

    Yup, just reverse wound is all. Nothing at all special need be done on a JV33 with reverse wound material. Just load the roll upside down and run as usual.

Share This Page