• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing on Cast Vehicle wrap film with Metallic ink

Xcesiv

I am trying design the wrap for my car and was thinking i really should show off the metallic feature of my printer within my wrap.

I have downloaded the ICC profiles for both the vehicle wrap films i like using, but they dont have a metallic print option

HAs anyone printed and wrapped using the metallic films ?

Any problems, hassles, positives or negatives with there experiences in there wrapping?

Would love to hear from people that have tried it

Bit of back ground info
Print: Roland VS-640 8 colour setup with Metallic
Vinyl type: Hexis Cast vehicle wrap film, or Avery 1005 EARS

4R Graphics

I dont print mettalic but I do remember reading about how to do it in the manual for my rip. I have a Mimaki JV33 and use rasterlink. You should be able to find something in the manual for the rip to show you how to do it. I remember something about changing a color option. As for the mettalic inks on the wrap hey if you can do it go for it. I would think there wont be any issues as far as streching it as long as you dont stretch it to much but if you are doing the install right you wont stretch it enough to matter.

mudmedia

Metallics from the Roland are triggered by spot colors...you should have a metallic spot color library that came with your versaworks...Then you enable them inside versaworks...There is nothing in the icc profile that it needs it is all recognized by spot colors easiest way I can kind of explain it is like your cutcontour swatch for versaworks.

mudmedia

May I add i have never wrapped a car with metallics to let you know about color stretch and what not but I do know that my experience with them is its not economical sure it is for your shops truck but the inks are double / triple the price plus take 3-4 times longer to print cause they have to be done on 1440x1440 artistic print modes which is SUPER slow...If I was to get a vs i would get the 8 color but double c and m rather then white and metallic it is very rare to be used plus can clog easily if not used regularly.

WCSign

I use a premium wrap vinyl profile [MT]

In the quality settings window of versaworks, select the [MT] so it prints just the metallic.. Then when thats done, change it to CMYK,LC,LM setting and print the colors over it..

MAKE SURE... That you set the cut settings to "return to origin after print" so you can print the colors over metallic

Thats the fastest way to do it.. No real quality difference noticed from the "print in layers" option, which usually takes 3 times the amount of time to print