Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Printing on ceramic tile _ with UV cured ink- sealing surface?

Discussion in 'Digital Printing' started by Tim Kingston, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Tim Kingston

Tim Kingston Member

Dec 9, 2009
    Canada
    I was thinking about experimenting with printing to ceramic tile with our Agfa M4f and am asking for advice. If anyone does this type of printing with a UV printer, do you use some kind of sealant post printing? I don't intend for the product to used on the floor but would expect that I would need to protect the surface somewhat. Can I use clear coat type of spray or is there a danger in the solvent etc. attacking the print? Or do you not use any type of sealant. Thanks, Tim.

Tags:
  2. Atomic DNA

Atomic DNA Member

Nov 13, 2007
    Western KY
    Most decorative applications are generally done with dye sub. If printed, I would use some type of automotive clear (2k). A flattening agent could be mixed in with the clear to keep an eggshell/matte appearance.

3. rubo

rubo Member

Aug 4, 2011
    glendale ca
    little bit OT, but still...I print on ceramic tiles w water based inks and my post is powder coating - don't know what will happen to UV inks but it's worth a shot...I think. Good luck!

4. TwoNine

TwoNine Active Member

Apr 17, 2011
    Print them just as you would anything, and if you want/need a clear (which you don't need) - I'd just spray them with clear paint, varnish, anything you feel like - we've even rolled them afterward with polycrylic and had some okay results....

5. Tim Kingston

Tim Kingston Member

Dec 9, 2009
    Canada
    Ok, thanks. I'll give it a try.