• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing on ceramic tile _ with UV cured ink- sealing surface?

Tim Kingston

I was thinking about experimenting with printing to ceramic tile with our Agfa M4f and am asking for advice. If anyone does this type of printing with a UV printer, do you use some kind of sealant post printing? I don't intend for the product to used on the floor but would expect that I would need to protect the surface somewhat. Can I use clear coat type of spray or is there a danger in the solvent etc. attacking the print? Or do you not use any type of sealant. Thanks, Tim.

Atomic DNA

Most decorative applications are generally done with dye sub. If printed, I would use some type of automotive clear (2k). A flattening agent could be mixed in with the clear to keep an eggshell/matte appearance.

rubo

little bit OT, but still...I print on ceramic tiles w water based inks and my post is powder coating - don't know what will happen to UV inks but it's worth a shot...I think. Good luck!

TwoNine

Print them just as you would anything, and if you want/need a clear (which you don't need) - I'd just spray them with clear paint, varnish, anything you feel like - we've even rolled them afterward with polycrylic and had some okay results....