• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing on Cling

ATD Signs

Trying to print on cling to be applied to the inside of vehicle windows that can be viewed
from the outside. The trouble i am having is that because the ink is transparent printing on clear
gives me a very lite looking decal. I need a more saturated base color. I have a Roland VS540i,
& we are using the clear static cling profile in versa works. Any suggestions as to how we can get a deeper
more saturated base color to the decal
Thanks

binki

If you don't have white ink then change your print to uni directional. Make sure you are using the highest quality. You may also be able to experiment with color adjustment but do those first 2 and then see how it works out.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Before we had the white ink capability, we would reverse print on clear. and laminate with white vinyl with clear adhesive.

Trying to print on cling to be applied to the inside of vehicle windows that can be viewed
from the outside. The trouble i am having is that because the ink is transparent printing on clear
gives me a very lite looking decal. I need a more saturated base color. I have a Roland VS540i,
& we are using the clear static cling profile in versa works. Any suggestions as to how we can get a deeper
more saturated base color to the decal
Thanks
Digital printing inks are not opaque and allow light to pass through them very readily. When printed to a white substrate, light reflects off the colorant due to the opaque surface, but on clear media, light passes through regardless of the ink deposit.

The 'ideal' solution to this problem is to use a white ink underlay beneath the CMYK inks (or even a 3-layer CWC sandwich), to provide opacity to those inks, while unprinted areas remain transparent in other areas as desired. The attached image is General Formulations 207 Clear Cling applied to a window.

Attachments

• GF 207.jpg
    GF 207.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Yes glass-a-peel
Clear r white
just to clarify - we only used the glass apeel when it needed to be 2-sided. Glass appeel because white back, and opaque so the reverse image wouldn't show through.
If it's just one side, inside mount - any cheap white vinyl will do. The glass a peel is kinda pricy.

Hey Netsol, did you ever tackle that two-sided cling project you were working on?