• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing on frosted vinyl

jimbug72

I have received a request to quote some interior windows that they want prints installed with full coverage. They said want it to be "on a frosted material."

I was thinking of using Oracal 8510 or 8710. My thoughts were to print the graphics, and apply without laminate but I figured I'd consult with the experts on here to see if there were any reasons why I shouldn't/couldn't print on either of those materials that I'm not thinking of.

Also, if I the consensus is that I should laminate, what would be suggested?

Thanks in advance for any and all input!

tbullo

Superunknown
I don't know about those Oracal products, but we print on concept 790AE with great results.

Jack Walker

We have solvent printed on 8510 without any issues. As far as laminate, I would suggest doing so out of sheer peace of mind. Harsh chemical cleaners wiped across the print could smear it even after it has properly cured. We pair it with Oraguard 290 M or G.

I've successfully printed on frosted glass with solvent ink. When we tried with our gel printer the ink came off with the transfer paper. So a laminate would be your safe bet.

jimbug72

Thanks for all of the input everyone. I'm going to experiment with laminates to see what they like the best. Laminating over optically clear with the frosted sounds interesting. Curious to see how that looks.

Tatonka

I did a job on Oracal 8710 with our epson s80600 and it worked great. I couldn't scratch it without really trying

ORAFOL Americas

Merchant Member
When laminating the 8510 and the 8710 the material will become transparent and loose much of its frosted/etched appearance. The films appearance is caused by the slight texture/pores of the material, and by putting laminate on top it fills that texture in making the material more transparent.

bigben

I don't know about those Oracal products, but we print on concept 790AE with great results.

Do you have a picture of an install with this material? I'm looking for something that the print will show good on both sides of the glass. I've got a sample that is very good, but it's stick like a static cling, not adhesive. Also, how is the install for large pieces? We use mactac b-free, but without premask on it, it's not easy to install for large sizes.

burgmurk

We printed this on 3M 5525 haze using an HP 360, no laminate. it came out better than i expected it to, and the ink bonded really well.
IMG_20190821_130153.jpg IMG_20190904_112435.jpg

tbullo

Superunknown
Here is a pic. of a workout room we did. Both sides show good. Easy to install, has air release liner.

Attachments

• 0823181601_Pano (1).jpg
    0823181601_Pano (1).jpg
    926.1 KB · Views: 768

chromira

I have received a request to quote some interior windows that they want prints installed with full coverage. They said want it to be "on a frosted material."

I was thinking of using Oracal 8510 or 8710. My thoughts were to print the graphics, and apply without laminate but I figured I'd consult with the experts on here to see if there were any reasons why I shouldn't/couldn't print on either of those materials that I'm not thinking of.

Also, if I the consensus is that I should laminate, what would be suggested?

Thanks in advance for any and all input!
Etchmark Film has worked for me in the past. We use it for both etched glass look and diffuse coverage with graphics.

bigben

tbullo

Superunknown
do you have a picture from the other side of the glass?
I can' t seem to find it. The back side has a more frosted look, and looks good. They wanted to see the image from both sides.

Is this the concept 790AE? Did not need to laminate it or put a premask to install it?
This is Concept 790AE. No laminate or premask was used. Installed on the inside of room.

Caren Hines

I am trying to print on General Formulation 3.0 mil light Etch vinyl with the HP L570 Latex printer.
My issue is the heat settings I have dropped it down to 175 and it still effects the backing to ware it "crinkles" it up.
Any clue on what heat settings I can use to help with this issue? We also need to laminate it and that is causing another problem.
Thx much!

Dan360

I am trying to print on General Formulation 3.0 mil light Etch vinyl with the HP L570 Latex printer.
My issue is the heat settings I have dropped it down to 175 and it still effects the backing to ware it "crinkles" it up.
Any clue on what heat settings I can use to help with this issue? We also need to laminate it and that is causing another problem.
Thx much!

GF Light Etch is only rated for UV and screen printing. Any heat will likely cause it to warp like that.

mohd.tahseen.khan

Thx much!
I was having this issue for months. I noticed that the curing door is blocking any sheet be it vinyl or canvas or clear vinyl "if closed". So I never close the curing door and never get any sheet crinkled.