• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing on Glossy material

BJ Carter

Hi All,
I am having major issues when printing on glossy vinyl. When I do a print, the images come out with light colored blotchy spots on it. I have increased ink flow, quality settings, and have used the manufacturers suggested profiles. The results are that the images comes out way off on color and/or way to dark. I can take the same image and print on a matte finish vinyl, and it comes out great. The issue really shows up on Bitmaps. I can increase inkflow and quality settings to get vector and clipart images to print fine.
The materials I'm printing on are:

Avery MPI 1005EZ
3M Controltac
Oracal 3651M

Thnx for any help,
Bj Carter

BJ Carter

I'm sorry,

Roland SP300V
the materials are listed above and I used the manufacturers profile as stated above. I got them from the manufacturers web-site.

Not sure If it makes any difference, but I use CorelX3 to designs with.
Thnx, Bj

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like you have dirty hands while handling it. If you can't quite clean it adequately…. roll off a foot or two and be sure you’re in an untouched area.

Glossy medias will show up these imperfections far quicker then less glossy surfaces… even banner media will show this.

BJ Carter

I apologize guys, I have issues remembering to give all info, please bare with me.

I'm using versaworks and Eco-SolMax Inks.

I don't beleive It's dirty hands, because I'm 30 feet into the roll with trying different settings.

Thnx, Bj

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Can you post a close up picture or two of the problem. Regardless where you are on the roll, if you load it and unload it continuously, you'll be contaminating the vinyl.

Seems odd that the same file works on non glossy surfaces, but not on any glossy surface.

Drip Dry

Hi All,
I can take the same image and print on a matte finish vinyl, and it comes out great. The issue really shows up on Bitmaps. I can increase inkflow and quality settings to get vector and clipart images to print fine.

If your vector and cliparts are printing fine, then I think the problem is not with the machine or your rip.
The fact that it prints fine on matte finish, tells me the profile you chose for glossy vinyl is wrong.
Also, I've never had to change any settings to get a good image.
I export from Flexi as an eps file and rip it through Versaworks.

I don't use the Avery vinyl you mentioned but for

3m controltac I use "PCCT Premium cast" as a profile
For 3651, I use "GCVP Glossy calandered"
For 3651M , I use "MCVP"

Also make sure your using the profiles made for the eco-sol inks. The profile name has (ESM) at the end of it.

jt

BJ Carter

The 30 feet was me not unloading the Avery material for that length Although your advice Is well noted and a eye opener. You know how the dust off a candlebat or moth looks like, If you get It on your hands? That's what it looks like.

I did just take it out and put in a sample roll of Orafol 3551Ra and it printed great, some of the drop shadows a little off, but I can fix that. It's like this material has a little more bite to it. I was wondering If the Ink wasn't having enough time to flow out?

I went and redownloaded profiles to reload, just In case i screwed them up earlier.

Thnx, Bj

Ken

To me, it also sounds like contaminated material.
You ever notice that if there is a fingerprint on the vinyl..it will print badly at that spot?
And I know you are 30 feet into the roll..just seems that is the explanation.
Try cleaning the vinyl with alcohol or Rapid Tac..see if that makes a difference.
Good luck..
Ken

BJ Carter

Thankyou guys for the help. I believe Gino and others were on the right track about contamination. I cleaned the vivyl and it printed just fine, except where I hadn't cleaned all residue off, you coulsd see wipe marks.
Thnx, Bj