Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Printing on grommeted banner with Mutoh 1204

Discussion in 'Mutoh' started by mwood, Jul 23, 2008.

1. mwood

mwood New Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Is anyone printing grommeted banners on the Mutoh1204? I know there are several brands of the super thin gromets that are supposed to be ok for all printers, but I hate to risk striking the head.

Tags:
  2. Valley_Impressions

Valley_Impressions Member

May 12, 2007
    Exactly

3. Head strikes, and wouldn't you need to block out the grommets (in your design program?) other wise your cleaning your platen and hping the ink doesn't smear on the backside of banner.

My $.02

4. Arstron

Arstron Member

Oct 11, 2006
    I read about this in one of my Signcraft magazines, but have been to afraid to try it as well. There is a material called "ready 2 print banner" by Banana Banner that a couple of my suppliers sell, it has the very low profile grommets and supposedly has been tested by the company in a versacamm and valuejet. it comes in a roll, is pre hemmed, and has two grommets every 2 feet apart, with 3 inches between each of them. In the Signcraft magazine, I dont remember what all they said about it, but I remember they said that you should add a few peices of tape on the platen where the grommets will be to catch the overs pray there. My main concern was how will those grommets hold up, it doesnt take that much time to install grommets in a banner (except for the 20+ foot banners).

5. Matt Cuellar

Matt Cuellar Active Member

Oct 5, 2006
    I don't know if it's really worth the risk, but that's just me.

6. ProWraps™

ProWraps™ Guest

how will you line the grommets up correctly? the product is a bad idea all the way around.

7. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Member

Mar 29, 2008
    I agree, I would not take the risk on testing a bad idea like that...

8. paul luszcz

paul luszcz Active Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Massachusetts
    I also don't want to risk my print heads to try this material. I think they're trying to solve the wrong part of the problem. Putting in grommets is easy and takes almost no time.

Hemming is the hard part. You either you tape (which doesn't work well) or sew (which is HARD) or weld (which is expensive).

If they offered prewelded material without grommets, I'd give it a try. Otherwise I'll keep sewing until I have the $4200 I need to get a welder.