• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing on grommeted banner with Mutoh 1204

mwood

Is anyone printing grommeted banners on the Mutoh1204? I know there are several brands of the super thin gromets that are supposed to be ok for all printers, but I hate to risk striking the head.

GTSTech_1

Head strikes, and wouldn't you need to block out the grommets (in your design program?) other wise your cleaning your platen and hping the ink doesn't smear on the backside of banner.

My $.02

Arstron

I read about this in one of my Signcraft magazines, but have been to afraid to try it as well. There is a material called "ready 2 print banner" by Banana Banner that a couple of my suppliers sell, it has the very low profile grommets and supposedly has been tested by the company in a versacamm and valuejet. it comes in a roll, is pre hemmed, and has two grommets every 2 feet apart, with 3 inches between each of them. In the Signcraft magazine, I dont remember what all they said about it, but I remember they said that you should add a few peices of tape on the platen where the grommets will be to catch the overs pray there. My main concern was how will those grommets hold up, it doesnt take that much time to install grommets in a banner (except for the 20+ foot banners).

P

ProWraps™

how will you line the grommets up correctly? the product is a bad idea all the way around.

paul luszcz

I also don't want to risk my print heads to try this material. I think they're trying to solve the wrong part of the problem. Putting in grommets is easy and takes almost no time.

Hemming is the hard part. You either you tape (which doesn't work well) or sew (which is HARD) or weld (which is expensive).

If they offered prewelded material without grommets, I'd give it a try. Otherwise I'll keep sewing until I have the $4200 I need to get a welder.