Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Printing on Imit. Leaf?

Discussion in 'Gerber' started by Arlo Kalon 2.0, Mar 18, 2005.

1. Arlo Kalon 2.0

Arlo Kalon 2.0 Very Active Member

Oct 21, 2004
    Reno, TX
    Before I jump into printing an outline and shadow on some 4mil imitation gold leaf vinyl (FDC), I want to be sure this can be done successfully on the Edge? And if so, what should I select as the vinyl type for the Edge info? Thanks!

Tags:
  2. Fred Weiss

Fred Weiss Merchant Member

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    I would be dubious. I've never seen the FDC version but if, it is like the Coburn imitation gold leaf, it has depressions that make up the pattern. The Edge lays down its resin in a thickness that is measured in microns and most likely will not fill in the depressions.'

If you have it in stock, test print it. If you don't, get a sample sent to you to test print.

3. Arlo Kalon 2.0

Oct 21, 2004
    Reno, TX
    Yup! This has those same depressions/texture you mention. I'm so impulsive that "test print" never arcs in my synapses. I'll try that and let ya know - just for future reference. Thanks

4. Arlo Kalon 2.0

Oct 21, 2004
    Reno, TX
    Interesting discovery...

Well, I ran the test print on the "gold leaf" vinyl, and as you predicted Fred, it didn't get fully printed into the slight texture. However, it DID produce an interesting effect that would be the right touch in a given situation. The Edge printing on the gold leaf vinyl produces an effect that appears worn, maybe thinning from years of slight abrasions. In short, it looked like very very old gold window jobs I've seen - very antique appearance. Might be just the thing for next movie set job. haha