• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing on LG 14oz bannux

bentotdagr3at

I'm having some trouble printing on this 14oz ultra smooth banner.
I'm getting a wrinkling effect. I tried different heat settings. 5 degrees more on the pre heat than the platten and no luck. Tried 10 and still no luck. Tried turning the preheat off altogether and still no luck.

I tried 5 degree increments (starting with 40) on each test and still no luck.

Vaccuum was set to high and then on some test it was off and still no luck.

I tried 3 different banner rolls using 10-15ft of each to see if it was just a bad batch but still no luck.

I have used it before and worked beautiful, during summer, now it's winter so i figure i should slow the printing down to compensate for humidity change. Still no luck.

Anybody printed on this stuff on a JV33? I cant get a profile for it since we are running CMYKx2 not CMYKcm.

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Rooster

I had the exact same problem. I was never able to resolve it to my satisfaction.

However I found the best setting was to turn off the platen heater and use only the pre and post heaters. Even then I still had some wrinkling.

It wasn't the first time I've had heat related/wrinkling issues with an LG product either.

Rooster

I was using a JV33 as well. I called my supplier and talked to their techs. As usual they didn't know their ass from a hole in the ground.

I thought maybe the weight of the roll was causing it to bend in the middle and not track straight, but even with a mostly empty roll it did the exact same thing. It's the media for sure. All my other medias are problem free.

Their solution was to raise the print head height. That's treating a symptom, not curing the disease.

You didn't buy it from Mondrian Hall/Unisource did you? I'd be very interested to hear what their techs told "you" about this issue.

bentotdagr3at

Exactly right!
Mondrian Hall/Unisource was the supplier.

It's weird though that we used it last summer and it was fine.

I check the date it was manufactured and they are all 10-11 months old.

Did you return the rolls? I want to find out if they offered you anything.

Can I use you as a reference to this problem? I talked to Jim this morning and he told me he never had any calls about this problem.

Last edited:

Rooster

Yup, same supplier. Bad media. I sent you my info as a reply to your PM. Go ahead and use my name.

I'm not sure what's up with LG. The first time I used their intermediate grade white adhesive it buckled like crazy and nothing I did with the heat could get it to lay flat. A year or so later and they urge me to try it again and 95% of the problem is gone with my normal heat settings.

WB

I print a ton of that stuff on my JV-130 & 160.. are you getting dark lines or scuffs?

bentotdagr3at

This might be too much to ask but anybody want to load the icc profile for the vizion bannux 14oz on their rip so i could atleast know what heat settings are nominal?

this is starting to be a nightmare.

SE SignSupply

If you have turned all the heaters off and it still wrinkles, it's defective material. What happens when you load the media, and simply advance the media foward a few feet (not printing)?

bentotdagr3at

If you have turned all the heaters off and it still wrinkles, it's defective material. What happens when you load the media, and simply advance the media foward a few feet (not printing)?

It tends to buckle every couple feet!
I talked to the their service/demo guy that test their printers and medias and he said the banner is defective. If it was just heat issue then it would be from start until I stop the print not every couple feet or so.

I'm waiting for their media manager to call me back so I can send 5 rolls back.

Thanks for all the help, now I need to find blockout with anticurl banner in Edmonton.