• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing On Magnetic Material

farleycat

Hi, does anyone have some "solid" experience printing on magnetic material. I posted earlier and was looking at a gerber, is there any other cutter/printer combo out there that someone could recommend based on experience.

I would like to do fridge magnets and small car magnets to start. I have a pretty solid background working with graphics software so I am not totally alien to the creative side.

Anyone familiar wit the Allen Datagraph? I was on their site looking at their 2 cutter models. There doesn't seem to be any printer/cuttter combo packages. Sent to company a rquest for information but they don't seem to be picking up very quickly.. Any idea of cost for the cutters?

Thanks

Service Sign Co

I think the Edge would be the best bet, even limited to the 15'' sprocket mate rial & the 11.5'' print area 12x 24 is average for a magnetic sign.I keep a 4B around mainly for cutting thick material so you don't have to change blades & pressure. I wouldn't spend the time or money for small ref. magnets, that type of stuff is best farmed out like the previous poster advised.

Chuck Olson

I have a Roland VersaCamm (SP-300V) and I have printed and scored (not cut) magnets directly onto magnet material. I use Magnum Magnets 12 mil DigiMag material. This stuff is fine for refrigerator magnets, but it is not suitable for vehicle use. For vehicles I print onto vinyl, laminate it and then apply that to a 30mil magnet material.

I only print directly onto magnet material for short runs (long runs I send out) or if it is a very special die cut. It is time consuming and must be babysat the whole time. The reject rate can sometimes out weight the "savings" of doing it in house.