Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question Printing on magnetic roll

Discussion in 'Mimaki' started by kbrys, Dec 3, 2018.

1. kbrys

kbrys New Member

May 22, 2009
    Illinois
    Has anyone tried printing on a roll of magnetic material in a Mimaki UCJV300-160? It appears only the back plate will cause an issue that I could cover with a thin PVC sheet.

Thanks
    Kerry

Tags:
  2. flyplainsdrifta

flyplainsdrifta Active Member

Oct 13, 2017
    ct
    I use 030 styrene taped down on all sides to cover the pre heat platen on my roland. works like a charm. you just want to be CERTAIN you have it down really well. the last thing you want is to have that thing suck into the pinch rollers and into the carriage path. cause that is a good time for no-one.

3. Solventinkjet

Solventinkjet DIY Printer Fixing Guide

Aug 2, 2011
    Denver, CO
    If you get a head strike on vinyl, the vinyl usually bunches up and the head stops when it senses this. You run a cleaning cycle to recover the nozzles and then keep on printing.

If you get a head strike on magnet, all of the force goes into the head because the magnet doesn't budge and is much more rigid. This breaks the head and those heads cost about $4000 each.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. clarizeyale

clarizeyale Member

Aug 25, 2016
    SF Bay Area
    different printer but I made a little thing for this issue once I saw this video.

we print magnets on the flatbed now....

5. Sindex Printing

Sindex Printing Member

Nov 17, 2018
    Sparks
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Darryn

Darryn New Member

Aug 8, 2016
    Canada
    On my Roland I just attached self-adhesive velcro (fuzzy size only) to a strip of magnet and placed that on the backplate. Keeps the magnet from getting too close and it works quite well. I attached it to magnet so that I could easily remove if needed but have had it there for a couple of years.

7. Scott Sneddon

Scott Sneddon New Member

Oct 24, 2018
    Layton Utah
    Brilliant