• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing on magnetics with my Versacamm

Drip Dry

Has anyone had success with this.
I have a vp540 with versaworks and trying to print on magnum magnetics .015 for refrigerator magnets.

It prints fuzzy. I've tried with the head up and down. I've tried printing high resolution and standard. The profile I'm using is for glossy vinyl, since I'm not sure which profile to use.
It prints fine on vinyl, so here's the kicker.... I mounted vinyl to the magnet and printed on that.... same fuzzy print. Is it the additional thickness ?

Anyone have any ideas

Thanks
JT

ZsVinylInc

I would suggest printing directly to the vinyl and then applying the material to the magnet. We have a Roland SP-540V and that is what we do every time we have any type of magnetic material to produce for a project.

Mainframe

Print on vinyl, big squeegee it down, trim & go, otherwise your gonna crash your head & break your back trying to do it the way your are doing it.

Wildpony

Print on vinyl, big squeegee it down, trim & go, otherwise your gonna crash your head & break your back trying to do it the way your are doing it.

I do the same thing. Just print on the vinyl and apply to magnetic. Also that way I also use the .30 instead of the printable and thin .20 thickness

Drip Dry

OK, so it seems applying vinyl to the magnet is the way to go.

BUT.... can I contour cut it afterwoods, or am I going to crash the head then as well ? Does the head stay out of the way while cutting ?

I do have another option to edge print it, but it just cost way more

nickelartistic

jjones -
While I have not really gotten involved with the whole printing on magnetic thing (I have the head-strike fear as well) I do have colleagues who have had a lot of success with it. I believe the fuzziness is caused by the material going through more slowly because the heater plate is metal and the magnet wants to drag on it. I'm pretty sure the people who do this will apply application tape to the back of the magnet to allow it to move more smoothly across the plate.
Please don't take any of this with much more than a grain of salt because as I said I have not done any of this personally, just thought I'd fill you in on what I've heard. Cheers!

Drip Dry

Thanks Zeth for the link. That was my first thought but with 4 rounded corners and an oval top... x 500 is not really an option.

Anyway, I ordered 3 rolls of gerber mag today for the edge.

Gotta love the edge.. 10 years old and still making money.. just not as much as an inkjet

Thanks everybody

Wildpony

If your quantity is high enough your could use a corner notcher for the rounded corners. I have always just cut with a knife, and price accordingly.

Thanks Zeth for the link. That was my first thought but with 4 rounded corners and an oval top... x 500 is not really an option.

Anyway, I ordered 3 rolls of gerber mag today for the edge.

Gotta love the edge.. 10 years old and still making money.. just not as much as an inkjet

Thanks everybody

guillermo

I use to print on magnet media on my sp300v, with not problems, well quality it not as printing directly on vinyl, but I was given this tip:

cut a sheet of magnet about 3 feets and set it up on the printer then start printing and go to the back of the printer and hold up the magnet media, that way it will not stick on any thing and will feed smoothly, (I know it is tired standing and holding it up high, but it gives you a good print) another tip, increase the vacum power so stays flat to avoid the print heads hitting the media..................... good luck

And try the Matte Calendared Vinyl profile with heads on high...your printer is designed with all aluminum areas so the magnetic won't stick. It's still wont compete with the vinyl, but depends on the customer and applications