• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing on metallic vinyl with Valuejet

Sparky

I am going for a worn effect on some R-Tape metallic stuff, but I can't get the ValueJet to read it OK and NOT give me an Undefined Media error. Right now I am testing this with some 15" material and I am loading it in the center to cover the media sensor.

I tried turning off the media initial, but all it seems to think is that by turning it off, my media is 1000mm.

Any tips?

Thanks!

Sparky

so...I am the only one to try printing on this stuff?

I see that you use very low heat and I need a quarter inch around printed edges to keep from lifting, but I am stuck at my printer trying to register the material...

Sparky

Got busy... Sorry...
No update as of yet. I am trying to get a sample to a customer showing that the ink will allow the metallic to show through, but then I got some fleet graphics, and a two-car deal, and then...., and then...

The customers car will be in-town next week, so I will get to it - but tonight the printer will be busy most of the night. Love sleeping knowing I will have great prints in the morning!

Sparky

UPDATE - - - -

For whatever reason, this time, the Mutoh saw the R-Tape Brushed Aluminum material just fine and printed perfectly at low temps (30, 30, 35). The end result was a little dull, but after I laminated it, the result was very cool. The printed colors look wet and the lam made them pop.

Their website (R-Tapes) said that heating the material is a good way to get it in the MINOR grooves of a cars body, but BE CAREFUL - too much heat will kill this material in a flash. In-fact, after my first heat experience, I decided that a post heat from a greater distance was all that I dared. I have a picture on my phone, but I will post a better picture in a couple of days - the car is locked up in a trailer right now...

In brief - Try this material - it is very cool, and when it comes time to re-wrap the shop truck, I am going to use this stuff on some highlights (being careful not to break any laws about mirror-like graphics of course).