• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

printing on oracal 651

teamrolex

Hi,

3 questions, please help me out.

Can't get constant supply of 3651 white so thinking to make do with 651.
I read 651 is printable same like the 3651.
Which profile do you use ? same 3651 profile ?

Is there a silver or metallic 651 that I can print on ? I see a silver Metallic (091), can I print on these ?

Also, looking at printing on transparent, since I plan to stock 210 lam, any disadvantage(s) of printing on 210 instead of 651 transparent ?

Thanks.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
You can print fine on many solid color vinyls however your main catch will be that NONE of those are guaranteed in any way to be free of surface contaminants and will be warranted in any way for be printed on. That being said, I've done it quite a few times and we print on Avery silver metallic with great results. As far as profiles go you will need to experient a little but the 3651 profile should work fine. I've never had much call for printing on clear so I cannot advise on that.

• Agree
Reactions: spb

MikePro

+1 to high chance of contaminated rolls.
prep your media with a low% isopropyl alcohol + water sprayed onto a microfiber towel (i use gloves) and you'll have a good shot at making it work.

signswi

Find a new source...

Edit: Just noticed your location :/ Have you tried intermediates from other brands?

teamrolex

Thank u for your replies.

On the part of printing on clears.
Since I stock oracal 210 for lam.
Should I use this for printing instead of stocking another roll of 651 or 3651 clear ?

What do u think ?

MontereySigns

Yes, you can print onto 651, 210, and lots of other plotter films, laminates, metallics, and some reflectives. Just know its not meant to absorb ink, could have contaminates and static electricity, too. That being said many people print onto these materials with good results. Just try not to make a habit of it for long-term success.

-Bud

I print / contour cut with my VJ on 651 silver metallic with no issue. Contamination of the vinyl is something to factor. I am generally only printing smaller decals with only black print. Work fine for me.

teamrolex

Used 3651 profile on 651 white.
But on silver the result seems a little "light/fade" but still look quite good.

So I wonder if use 3651 profile for all 651 colors.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Yes, you can print onto 651, 210, and lots of other plotter films, laminates, metallics, and some reflectives. Just know its not meant to absorb ink, could have contaminates and static electricity, too. That being said many people print onto these materials with good results. Just try not to make a habit of it for long-term success...

Not meant to absorb ink? It's plain old vanilla vinyl and it's solvent ink. The solvent acts on the vinyl, no particular absorption qualities needed. Why do you think you have to heat the stuff up in the first place?

As others previously noted, the only real drawback with vinyls not intended for printing is that representatives of the working classes may have put their less than clean hands on somewhere upon it. Even that causing problems is a rarity.

With solvent inks you can print on most any vinyl. Printing on vinyls other than white can produce some rather interesting color variations. As far as the ink bonding on the media, I've only found one vinyl, for Arlon I believe, that was, for whatever reasons, pretty much unprintable. As a general rule, if cleaning fluid from a cleaning cartridge will etch the vinyl then you can be reasonably certain you can print on it.

Humble PM

If I'm lucky, one day I'll be a Eudyptula minor
Hey Lynn,

I've been researching endlessly through myriad sources to find out whether I can print, etch or engrave upon a reflective or non-reflective medium or media, a patern that will deter Arachnida from the subphylum Chelicerata from developing, building or constructing silken strings other than those as expressly defined by ISO-8859-1, as the aforementioned are causing doubt, uncertainty and possibly fear in the bejewelled Sciuridae.