• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing on packaging paper?

speedmedia

Hello,
Anyone here ever print on packaging paper or brown paper of any sort off the roll? I have a Mimaki JV3. Been asked to print various sizes and it is all dark color stuff I figure it would probably work but wanted to check first.

Thanks,
Kurt

drive

i'm guessing the ink might spread to much on absorbent paper, especially with dark colors. but i've never tried it.... let us know :)

gnatt66

ive tried printing on a few kinds of uncoated paper here (we have an art supply store thats adjacent) and it hasnt work at all...ink soaks in and is a mess.

300mphGraphics

I've printed on 20# bond engineering roll paper on my Mutoh VJ with acceptable results. The copy was simple engineering line drawings and it was hard to read the small numbers, but the rest was ok.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Did you ever know that paper is double sided. I'm not sure if its the vellum which produces this, but all paper has a front side and a back side. we print on paper all the time and if you print to the wrong side, you'll have ugly results, but do it on the other side and our old CJ500 worked fine, our Roland's work fine and even our flatbed handles it quite well. Afterall, it is only a paper sign. If you need high-end paper prints, then get the synthetic stuff. We've printed on white, tan and yellow papers with good results.

300mphGraphics

Did you ever know that paper is double sided. I'm not sure if its the vellum which produces this, but all paper has a front side and a back side.
Paper has a "wire" side and a "felt" side. The wire side is the side transported through the mill resting on the conveyor mesh, the felt side is up. Produces a difference in texture that most can't differentiate, but it's there.

http://printwiki.org/Felt_Side

tbaker

I've printed on some of the most insane things with my jv3, dial back the ink limiting, and you should be fine. provided you aren't trying to print a full color image, I can't see why it wouldn't at least give you something you could use.