• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing on pop up material with a 1204

Tel

We have a 1204 and a 1604 valuejet printers. We have been printing on pop up material but only the 1604 will print on it. When we try to print on pop up material with the 1204 it displays "media end" when the material is loaded. Is there a thickness setting we have missed.
The two machines are not that much different from each other, they use the same head, the 1604 is more robust though.
Can anyone help please.
regards#Tel

Tel

UPDATE

Found out ourselves what the problem was, the backing of the pop up material is grey and that triggers the sensor to report that no media is in the machine. The 1604 was able to print, the difference between the two machines is we bought the 1204 new and the 1604 secondhand, so on closer examination of the 1604 we found a sensor which was covered, so we covered the same sensor on the 1204 and that was it we are printing on the pop up material on the 1204 as well.
regards
Tel

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I was 2 minutes too late.

Is the back of the material a dark gray or is the media clear/translucent?
Sounds like the rear media sensor is not seeing the material.
Quick fix is to block the rear sensor with some white paper.
I just took a 4in wide strip of regular white copy paper and taped it to the rear edge so the leading edge just covers the sensor.
This way when I don't need it to be blocked I can pull out the paper and let it hang down without having to re-tape it into position.
It should be on the right side near the capping station just behind the media roller clamps.
I have a 1304 that I have to block the sensor when I run a block out banner material that has a gray backside.
I also block the sensor when running 3M180 vinyl because the logos on the backing paper are so big they can trip the "end of media" error in the middle of a run.

Depending on your pop up material this might not have anything to do with it.

good luck

wayne k
guam usa

Last edited:
The machine thinks it is out of media. There is a sensor on the back of the machine on the bottom of the feed path. It need to reflect of the back of the material. My guess is that this is a grey back material and the 2 machines have different tolerances for the reflection. Try putting a piece of masking tape over the sensor. Remember to watch the material. You just turned off the way it knows when the media ends.