• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing on reflective vinyl

rzr2rocket

Hello all,

I have a quick question for everyone. I have a roll of 3m white reflective vinyl. I heard you could print directly on it with ecosol inks. I was then going to run it through my laminator with Oraguard 210 or 3m 8518 laminate. Can I do this and make a superior product?

Thanks!

rzr2rocket

Did you ever have any trouble with it shrinking or bubbling? This will be primarily be for indoor use. May I ask which laminate you recommend out of the 2 I have?

Thank you.

amw

Longtime Members
Hello all,

I have a quick question for everyone. I have a roll of 3m white reflective vinyl. I heard you could print directly on it with ecosol inks. I was then going to run it through my laminator with Oraguard 210 or 3m 8518 laminate. Can I do this and make a superior product?

Thanks!
You would want to use cast on the reflective.
210 is not cast. I dont know if the 8518 is cast or not as we dont use that.

Marsha

TXFB.INS

be warned that when you print to reflective the color that reflects back in the dark is sometimes different than what is seen in the daylight

you also have to be aware of the temperature and the direction the head prints in as well as the amount of ink that is laid down.

when you laminate make sure you do not apply too much pressure from the laminator you can cause distortion in the reflective property

heyskull

I have printed on reflective before and the ink just sat on top and it did not dry.
I am running ecosol inks in my mutoh vj1604.
I would print on clear then apply it to reflective and overlaminate it.
SC

Out There

Hello all,

Thanks!

Is it IJ680?

If so print away and laminate with a cast lam. In your case 8518 or 8519

redbarn

I print directly to 3m white reflective using my roland versacamm. Have to pay attention to details but I have had great results.

SIGNTIME

use 290 lam. we have had great results printing and laminating oracal 5600 with 290 lam ... now if they would just make the 5600 with rapid air

SIGNTIME

Also I don't know if your using versaworks or something else or what print profiles your using, but we use pcv3 and change the feed calibration to that of which is in the reflective profile. We do this because in the reflective profile the highest resolution option is 720x1440, and when printing on reflective you want to print 1440x1440. At least this is my understanding and what is we do and we have had great results. However there are people who know a lot more about building profiles as I do not have enough knowledge to do so yet.

J Hill Designs

a few weeks ago, I had a rush reflective decal order - using 280i in the edge usually, but was out of a particular foil - popped the roll into my solvent printer, they printed beautifully, 1/8" black text and all.

I was impressed.

natedawg9640

was in the fire and emergency trade for a while and the vast majority of our large format prints were done on reflective. we had a mimaki.

laminated with 8518

make sure to allow 24 hour dry time or you risk de-lamination.